I HATE to Cull Fish!! What would you do?

What would you do with a deformed growout??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
When I buy baby fish I always get several to start with. My last order from TUIC included 4 Vieja Argentea's and it turns out one is deformed. His body is growing to very odd proportions and his dorsal fin is growing way to one side, not down the middle of the back like normal. These fish are normally destroyed by responsible breeders but I hate killing fish, even deformed ones. If it was your fish, what would you do?

1. Keep the fish, give it a good home and treat it to a good life.
2. Be responsible to the hobby and cull the fish.
3. See if your LFS wants to buy it or take it for free.
4. Sell or give it to another hobbyist.
5. Grow it out and eat it.
6. Chop it up and feed it to the other fish.
7. Give it to a neighborhood cat.
8. Mail the deformed body back to the original seller.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i cannot help it but i never cull the fish..i just do not breed them.. i let them live out their life with me.. i had one angel that had a dented in head..like a crater .. he was an eyesore for sure.. but he was a happy fish with me until he passed away after 8 years..so if that happens to me..i find it merely a trivial aspect in fishkeeping.. and they are not culled. The only time i cull is if i think they are suffering from their deformity..such if they cannot eat much and start wasting away..just me! i would though send pictures to the original seller and try to get a replacement for your aggrivation and that he sold you something inferior.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I too don't like to cull fish but do so when necessary. If you are willing to dedicate a tank and time then you should do what you feel is right.
I personally would cull a fish with those deformities.
I picked up 3 Argentea from the same batch, I only have two left. One definite male killed what I believe was my only female.
As for as a replacement, I doubt this seller is replacing anything.

Steve p

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2007
Bristol UK
Hmm i was thinking about number 5 but then if it was me i think i would cull it then chop it up and feed it to my other fish as long as you have quarantined it. No point in wasting good food.

Flame away Steve.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Steve p;1484984; said:
Hmm i was thinking about number 5 but then if it was me i think i would cull it then chop it up and feed it to my other fish as long as you have quarantined it. No point in wasting good food.

Flame away Steve.

I know you're right no matter how awful it sounds. It's weird how my mind works, if I caught a 4" fish from a lake, I would have no problem whatsoever chopping it up for bait or something but when it's a pet, it's completely different lol.

I wonder if my 14" Weeksi in another tank can eat it whole....or maybe Liz will take it off my hands. :naughty:

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
you spent money on them, you may aswell gorw them out, depending on the deformety it may go away with time and size if properly kept.

ScullCraca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Denver Colo
If you have the room I would keep it and give it as good of a quality life that you can.

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
do you have pics of the deformed fish?, by the sounds of it it doesn't sound like anything that can't be fixed with time.

if not sell them to neo, he loves his deformed fish.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
balton777;1485018; said:
I know you're right no matter how awful it sounds. It's weird how my mind works, if I caught a 4" fish from a lake, I would have no problem whatsoever chopping it up for bait or something but when it's a pet, it's completely different lol.

I wonder if my 14" Weeksi in another tank can eat it whole....or maybe Liz will take it off my hands. :naughty:
i would if we lived closer.. that would not bother me..what is one more mouth to feed:grinno:Also i look at it this way..he survived to this point.. i have special empathy towards survivors..

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
ScullCraca;1485031; said:
If you have the room I would keep it and give it as good of a quality life that you can.

That's the point of buying multiples in the first place. I buy several and keep the best of the bunch. I don't have room for 4 Argentea's. 3 of them have to go soon...I can only keep one and it won't be the deformed weird looking one. :( Really I just didn't know if I should cull it or try to get my lfs to take it because it's not in misery and I know there's always someone who likes to take an underdog or runt and give it a good home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store