mopani wood

flyin lizard

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
New York, Dutchess Cty
I boiled mine for about 4 hours and changed the water when it got to look like strong tea, about 5 times. It has been in my SA/Ca tank a couple months now and it still leaches tannins. The fish are fine but after 3 or 4 days you can see a color change in the water. I read someplace that you never really get all the tannins out . Adding wood does look great in a tank thou.

flyin lizard

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
New York, Dutchess Cty
Check out my group shot in my personal gallery , that will give you an idea of the color b 4 a water change

Angel51087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
UK
i generally suggest the boiling method, but did it for a good 10-14 days. i would much rather wait to get 90-100% of the tannins out rather than only give it 3-4 days and have brown water for months

247Plants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Long Beach CA
Dont have mopani, but do have malaysian driftwood.....

I soaked mine for almost a year before it stopped leaching, no boiling though. Didnt have a big enough pot at the time.....

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
Yeah I used malaysian and it leeched so bad. I couldn't boil the pieces even in the 5 gallon pasta buckets we have. I just use scalding hot water out of the faucet and soaked it in that over and over and let it dry out and did it again, and not for some reason it doesn't leak at all.

I mean there was a point in time where I had water that was about as dark as coffee.

I wanted blackwater, but I underestimated the humic acid. Boy was it brown.

dexman1349

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
Denver, CO
each of my mopani pieces were soaked 10-14 days each. I added a few too many at once and the cumulative effect was just as bad as one non-soaked piece. Needed to do a weekly w/c just to keep the water somewhat clear.

MDH

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Canada, eh.
I've been boiling 2 pieces daily for 11 days now (2 hours of boiling, then let it sit the rest of the day), the water still comes out looking like tea. I'm in no hurry to get them in the tank, so I figure another 2 weeks or so can't hurt!

Dennis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Epsom UK
I have bogwood in all my tanks, never had problems with leeching. The more you boil it the more it will leech, I found.

neekaragua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
victoria
i miss the lovely brown color my wood used to give my water
want to get more smaller pieces just to turn the water brown again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store