PH for Flower Ray

jsshark1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
USA
I am hoping to get a flower ray into my tank.and want to be ready.. I was reading that they like ph at 6.0 my tank is at 7.4... what ph are the owners of flower keeping them in ...my tap water is around 8.2 . so my ph swing a bit when doing water changes.......

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
pH swing are very detrimental to a rays health. Flowers are more sensitive then hardier rays like motoros. I will let the experts who have kept flowers chime in, but my gut feeling is that a flower may not flourish with constant pH swings.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
you need to keep ph swings to minimum..... a drip system is preferred.... they don't take to any stress at all... they should also pretty much be kept bythemselves because of there stress factor.... not a novice ray....

jsshark1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
USA
I am doing a drip ....using my waist water from my reef RO filter system.
I was going to have the waist water drip in to my tank...better then down the drain . I still cant beleave you waist 2/3 of the water to make RO water

would that keep the tank ph the same as out of the tap 8.2~ would that be ok

I already have the output plumming but dont know how much to drip or how to controle it .. I have a 300gl with wet/dry 25w UV .

how do I know how much to drip?? will to much drip be bad :WHOA:

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
i would'nt drip the waste water from the ro unit that water can't be to good??...
i just do 2 water changes a week and my rays flurish
a drip system is great if possible useing carbon blocks or a dosing pump from the tap

highback

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
my house
jsshark1;1505468; said:
I am doing a drip ....using my waist water from my reef RO filter system.
I was going to have the waist water drip in to my tank...better then down the drain . I still cant beleave you waist 2/3 of the water to make RO water

would that keep the tank ph the same as out of the tap 8.2~ would that be ok

I already have the output plumming but dont know how much to drip or how to controle it .. I have a 300gl with wet/dry 25w UV .

how do I know how much to drip?? will to much drip be bad :WHOA:
don't use straight tap then water condition it will increase ph in your tank. The best way is if you have a tank/ big container to hold water for at least a day, put 1-2 bag of carbon in after water condition, check ph to match your tank then do water change. Or change small portion (10% of your tank) with tap water + water condition like every 3 days. This way, your ph won't change as much.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I always go straight from the tap.... no problems....the RO waste water is not good..... its very hard and just not good..... 2 waterchanges a week would be best and just make sure to acclimate it to your PH/water very good.... also consider the stress factors I mentioned.... they don't take to it at allllll....

jsshark1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
USA
I do have a 55gal container I am using to get temp before puting in the water ..

I have that for a top off also,, i am going to drip water out and let the top off keep adding water .......... so on a 300gal you would think 55gal drip a day every other day ??

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
jsshark1;1507586; said:
I do have a 55gal container I am using to get temp before puting in the water ..

I have that for a top off also,, i am going to drip water out and let the top off keep adding water .......... so on a 300gal you would think 55gal drip a day every other day ??
not following you here??? your gonna acclimate it to your tank over several days???

what other fish are in the tank?
i would drip it till the ph is dead even with your tank at a slow rate should take about 2 hours...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store