Osphronemus exodon, Elephant ear giant gourami

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
I've been here a while now and was wondering if any one else has got one of these, when we were looking for a giant gourami the only one we could find in the area was an Exodon so that is what we've got/have.

Does anyone have one/ever kept one/know of anyone ever keeping them? I was told at the time that they are quite rare but I've been around the block too long not to believe everything I hear but I thought that one or two would have appeared on the giant gourami threads by now?

Thanks in advance

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Bogwoodbruce;1510871; said:
Im not sure that yours is a true EEGG, any pix? Does he has teeth on his lower jaw?
It's so tricky to tell, there are slight ridges but not what I would call teeth as such, bare in mind he's still only a baby. The wife has had a good nip off him when hand feeding at the time there was a slight jump to get the food which is natural behavior of fruit picking which is what the teeth are there for. He did have the spot when we first got him which has now gone, as seen in your pix of him.

Pix are difficult as he knows what your trying to do hence the poor ones on the gg thread a close up one would be near impossible but I'll try.

He was sold as an EE and marked up as Exodon but of course this means little but as you know he was purchased from a shop that has a large through put of rarer fish.

When we first thought about getting a gg, I did a ton of research and don't remember hardly anything being written about EE's let alone seeing a good picture of anything other than a baby. That's how I ended up here in the first place.

I just had another good hour hunting around and can find a rare handful of pictures none close up of the mouth area for comparison hence the initial question.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
If he had no teeth how could he snap in half of a L 27 plec, r.i.p? there is nothing in that tank that could possibly do that?

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Fishes33;1511537; said:
so what is this? red tail?
Now then, that is interesting.. I meant to reply on the gg thread asking for pics but I see no red fins could it be the mythical EE?

Not much of a spot but it's still young, any chance of a higher res pic?

If it is a EEGG then that is a amazing find you such a little outlay

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
I've had another look and there are tiny little, well I would not call them teeth but raises on his lower lip, not that big but not smooth if that helps with id. More of a bad stubble

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Anybody with a picture of an EEGG to compare?

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
It says something when the top hit on google when searching for the elephant ear is the Giant gourami thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store