A few questions

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
Can SW fish tolerate copper? I know FW inverts can't but can SW? If they can't how do you get ti out of the water? Do you have to use sand for SW tanks because i like gravel? And any noob fish reccomended for when i get my SW tank, i'm trying to find my options. Thanks in advance.:D

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
And are longnose hawkfish and a dwarf lionfish compatible in a 35g tank for life with no other fish? After i practice SW tanks with easier fish.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
freshwater inverts can handle copper better then SW, but neither should be expossed to it. RO water will remove most material in water. Copper is a hard one to work around but wont normaly promote a problem as long as your using RO water.

Sand is a must. Sand has certain propertys that gravel can not replicate. Gravel will trap debris and cause them to breakdown in the water column causing catastrophic nirtate problems.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
crushed coral and gravel can be used but they require more maintanence. and no, SW organisms in general do very poorly when exposed to copper. best way to not get it into your tank is to use RO or RO/DI water because the filter will pull out the copper and give you very pure water.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
the contientous marine aquarist and the new marine aquarium.... you need to invest in those books...

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
chicken_boy_Kurt;1523418; said:
Can SW fish tolerate copper? I know FW inverts can't but can SW? If they can't how do you get ti out of the water? Do you have to use sand for SW tanks because i like gravel? And any noob fish reccomended for when i get my SW tank, i'm trying to find my options. Thanks in advance.:D
Ok so I can't have copper in my system so i should invest in an RO unit. I have to use sand. Unanswered questions are: any good fish to start with (i like cardinals and clowns no anemone though), and the lion and hawkfish compatability. New questions are: can i use just a little live rock and then "seed" normal rock, and should i get live sand or just live rock? Thanks guys.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
you can use tap water if you're sure there isn't any copper in it and nitrate and phosphates are low enough but you will be more likely to have nutrient problems because tap water usually isn't anywhere near as pure as RO water. and you don't have to use sand, if you use CC or gravel you just have to make sure you vacuum it very frequently and thoroughly like in a FW tank. you could do cardinals, clowns and the hawkfish in the 35g but the dwarf lion is going to get too big and messy for a tank that small, esp. in the hands of a beginner. you can use live rock to see base rock but you have to make sure the base rock your using is safe for saltwater, some of the rocks like the lava rock will release phosphates that will encourage a ton of algae problems, the best base rock to use is dried live rock. if you want to use sand then live sand isn't really needed, you can use regular dry sand and the bacteria and micro-life will colonize it just like the base rock.

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
OK and i was going to start with noob fish and work my way up to the lion. And i really think that my well water has copper in it because all my FW inverts (at least 10) died within a week.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
is there a store around you that sells RO water. If so i would go that route. If not, then i might suggest getting your own RO unit. They will come in handy when you increase the size of your tank anyways, so wouldnt be totaly unnecessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store