HELP! Sick Clown trigger

zippy

Feeder Fish
Feb 19, 2008
santa rosa,ca
I have a Clown Trigger (2 1/2in) that will not eat. It has been in a well established tank for about 6 mo. It went through a similiar spell about 2 months ago but a quick water change perked it right up. It has always been a voracious eater. Loves dried seaweed, dry pellets ,Formula 1 frozen food. I did a water change on the 7th(feb) and had a water test a couple of days later which showed nitrates way up(100ppm) I was recomended to do another change after a week which I did on the 16th. Anyway, the fish is active it just won't eat. Any ideas??

Jam17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
manchester
zippy;1529569; said:
I have a Clown Trigger (2 1/2in) that will not eat. It has been in a well established tank for about 6 mo. It went through a similiar spell about 2 months ago but a quick water change perked it right up. It has always been a voracious eater. Loves dried seaweed, dry pellets ,Formula 1 frozen food. I did a water change on the 7th(feb) and had a water test a couple of days later which showed nitrates way up(100ppm) I was recomended to do another change after a week which I did on the 16th. Anyway, the fish is active it just won't eat. Any ideas??
100ppm?

mate u dun sum tin rong lol i would worry about the fish but the poor water :eek:

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
:eek:100ppm

keep up on the water changes. Increase frequency but lower the amount a little bit. shoot for about 5% every 3 days or so. Dont do a huge water change as this can prove to be to stress ful with the levels your at now.

might also help to know the size of the tank?? Watch the amount you feed the fish in the tank? How many fish and what kind? What are you using for filtration? Are you skimming?

All of this is helpful.

zippy

Feeder Fish
Feb 19, 2008
santa rosa,ca
Tank is a 55 gal show. I have another huma huma trigger, large clown, cherry grouper, blue tang and a yellow eyed tang. running two power heads w/simple undergravel and an additional external filter. Nothing fancy but I have had only the trouble w/the clown trigger and past water tests have always been great.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Keep an eye on the Tang's because they are sensitive to poor water quality. I would keep the external filter as clean as possible because this will help remove decaying debris from the tank. And as said earlier keep up on those water changes.

How large are the tangs? Only reason i ask is because the 55 gallon is going to be a bit small for them when they get larger. The larger all these fish get, the more strain its going to put on the filtration.

Also, whos the A-hole??

zippy

Feeder Fish
Feb 19, 2008
santa rosa,ca
Sorry sweettang the a-hole was ment for jam17. I'm relatively new at the marine hobby. I've had freshwater in years past but this is my first time dealing w/a marine enviornment. The tank has been up and running for about 2 years. I started with 7 blue damsels for the first 6mo and slowly added fish. I forgot to add that I have one damsel left. Two died during the start up and the cherry grouper seems to have finished the other four. As for your last question the blue tang is about 6in and the yellow eye is about 4. I would like to eventually move uo to a 300 gal. However I don't have a clue as to how to go about it with out killing everything from stress. Thanks for your input.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
lol doesnt bother me, i was just wondering lol. anyways back to the task at hand. Do you plan on leaving the 55 setup while you cycle the new tank??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store