Concrete

haloman02

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Hi, I was wondering if concrete was fish safe. I know saltwater is corrosive but i dont know what effects it will have on concrete. I was thinking of making base rock from concrete would this work? or would the concrete kill the fish or are they procedures i should follow to make it safe or select brands?

Also say when you fish tank and have a fish that needs open space were do you keep all the live rock?

One more thing when people ray you need 1 pound per gallon do you count the water that has been displaced by sand and live rock?

thanks in advace :)

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
type 3 portland cement and aragonite sand of your choice

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
do a google search or check reefcentral or search here i read the whole process somewhere...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
there is something you have to do with sealing the concrete. I can remember the name of the material. I think its like a latex something or other. As said ealier, reefcentral has a lot of good reading info about concrete tank building. Good luck and be sure to post some pics of the progress.

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
Even if you use a "sealer" on concrete, I suggest you steer clear of using it with Marine. There has been too many horror stories over the years of keepers fighting with huge PH fluctuations due to supposedly sealed concrete leaching Lime etc, into the water column! Only last week I heard of a guy who had just lost a very expensive "Golden Arothron Meliagris" that was blamed on a concrete ornament in his system.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Predator 1;1532376; said:
Even if you use a "sealer" on concrete, I suggest you steer clear of using it with Marine. There has been too many horror stories over the years of keepers fighting with huge PH fluctuations due to supposedly sealed concrete leaching Lime etc, into the water column! Only last week I heard of a guy who had just lost a very expensive "Golden Arothron Meliagris" that was blamed on a concrete ornament in his system.

not so sure that anything i want to mess with lol.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
thats why you don't seal the concrete, everybody that i've seen do the DIY liverock approach let it cure and then put the rock in a tub or bucket of water with frequent WC until the rock stoped leaching stuff and the ph stablized, then its safe.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
what about all the forums that i have been reading with them setting up poured cast walls, and using a certain latex paint to seal against any possible water leaks?? What would be the plan of attack on this situation.

haloman02

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yonkers, NY
sweeTang21;1533748; said:
what about all the forums that i have been reading with them setting up poured cast walls, and using a certain latex paint to seal against any possible water leaks?? What would be the plan of attack on this situation.
epoxy paint? Thanks for your answers guys ill keep reading.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
idk either, im just curious because i was planning on building my own tank from concret, but after reading info from danyal im deciding against it i think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store