Dwarf Lionfish Questions

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
I want to know a few things about dwarf lionfish (Dendrocheiros). I want to know if you guys think I should get a fuzzy or zebra. Does anyone know if anyone has ever died from getting stung by any fish in the Dendrocheirus genus? Is there any record of lionfish breeding in a home aquarium? I read somewhere that its possible but very hard and the young are very delicate and hard to feed.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Which one you get is really up to you. Havent had a zebra but the fuzzy i had ended up very tame but it took probably 6 months before he would eat frozen food. Lucky i live 2 mins from beach with rockpools so could easily catch plenty of small shrimp for him. You might get lucky and get one that eats frozen quicker. Not sure if anyone has died but if they have im fairly sure its from previous problems like heart problems. I have read the dwarfs are more venomous then the big species though. Not sure about dwarfs but volitans have spawned in aquariums but i dont think anyone has raised the babies.

chicken_boy_Kurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
PA, USA
OK thanks.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
mine ate frozen mysis in the bag, while i was acclimating him (i usually do this in case just such a thing happens i can brag about it :D) mine's a fuzzy, but i would recommend getting a fumanchu if you have the means. they are a little more expensive but all the dawrfs are the same personality wise so it's mostly up to cost and looks.

yodacroz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
Graham NC
Matt Wittenrich (Author of "Breeder's Guide to Marine Fishes") says in an issue of TFH Magazine that he'd breed dwarves. I emailed him about it (the address was in the article) and he said that they were really prolific, but that he had not had any luck getting the larvae through metamorphasis. I believe that Scott W Michael's Reef Fishes Vol.1 has sexing info for dwarves. Hope that helps for that end of your question...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store