Looking to start a SW Tank

LiftBig315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
North Dakota
I was just wondering what I can expect to spend starting up a 55 Gallon SW. And what types of fish would be fun to have in a 55...if any. I just say 55 because getting the tank and stand would be cheap. And then i could invest most of my money in equipment, and inhabitants.

What are some things to keep in mind, and things not even think about as I am planning all of this out?

Just a total newb lookin for all the help he can get for starting a SW

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
depends on how good you are at DIY, my 29g reef so far has only costed me about $350 but i haven't gotten many corals yet. you could probably put together a FOWLR tank in the 40~60g range for about $300~$500, especially if you buy the setup used. i'd try to find something wider than a 55g so a 40B, 60g or 75g. for fish it depends on what you want in the fish, a bunch of small nano fish or a couple of larger fish, in something as small as a 55g you'd be pretty restricted in terms of selection of larger fish.

LiftBig315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
North Dakota
thats all I was thinking for my first tank. Just some smaller 'community fish' if thats what you wanna call em. I just want something that would be good eye candy for company and fun to watch.

LiftBig315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
North Dakota
As for the DIY thing, I am pretty decent at stuff like that. I am a fabricator, so if I can make it with metal I can do anything right ;)

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i agree. My tank is a 65 gallon so the dimensions are 36*18*24. pretty good size for me so it works. 75 gallon is about the same but longer and bit smaller in height as well. As for equiptment, i would get a skimmer for sure, and i suggest getting the tank drilled so you can have a sump without a bunch of DIY or aftermarket purchases needed. Sumps are great for gas exchange, which keeps Ph and ALK a bit more stable, and allow things like heater and skimmer to go into it. If you get one thats designed for multi purpose then you can have a refugium in it as well, which isnt needed on FOWLR setups, but still a plus. LR and LS are good choices but you can by sand thats not live and make it live throug age of the aquarium.

Get books and read alot lol. These sites are great, but books are equally important due to the fact that books go in greater detail without having mixed opinions.

Good luck

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
If you want fish that are cheap but also colorful and have personality I'd go with some of the smaller damsels, although choosing which species carefully due to aggression and related issues.

LiftBig315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
North Dakota
From what I have read so far I think Damsels will be a no go.

I would like to have a few different types of fish in here.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
a peaceful community will be rather easy to come by at most saltwater LFS'. Gobies, reef safe wrasses, cardinal fish, some anthias, clowns will all be suitable and give you a lot of range in color and personality. Be careful enough to do research on each type of fish your interested in to make sure its good with what you got and is easy on the temperament.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
From what I have read so far I think Damsels will be a no go
if you get the right damsel they can be quite interesting, i'd go for YTBD, talbot damsel of some chromis but except for the chromis only one damsel per tank unless you get a 60~75g with plenty of rocks, then you might pull off a pair, if getting chromis then go for a group.
in a 75g i'd go for about 10 small compatable fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store