new to salt tank. few questions

LionFish41

Feeder Fish
Feb 23, 2008
wisconsin
I just bought a 30 gallon salt water tank and I have a few questions.
- I have my tank by a window, do you think I should but some shade on the tank to avoid algae.
- Do I need a protein skimmer? I have a lion and a snow flake eel, damsel.
- How often should I change the water out and how much at a time?
Is there anything else I need to know let me know. Thanks!
Andrew

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
I've read that sunlight doesn't affect saltwater tanks as much as they would freshwater tanks. There's this store in LA that has a saltwater right on the glass front of the store, and gets a lot of sunlight, everything seems healthy, and doesn't even have a protein skimmer.

I would get a protein skimmer, but is not needed, and makes a lot of noise.

I'm not sure, but I think lionfish eat damsels.

Are you going to add liverock to your tank?

LionFish41

Feeder Fish
Feb 23, 2008
wisconsin
i have to live rock. that is how i got the eel. he was in the rock out of water for 25 min. and when i got home i saw him pop out. i have had the tank up for a few days. i added the rock and damsel to check if it was ready for the lion. and he lived for 24 hrs so i put the lion in today. i am not sure if i am going to keep the eel.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
You're adding fish WAY too early. If they survive, it because they might be hardy. I'm no expert, but I think the tank has to cycle it's water before fish can be added (for healthy fish).

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Is the water new in your tank? Most likely your liverock will have die-off, where the organisms can't handle your water chemistry and die, starting a cycle. This cycle could kill your lionfish and eel, I hear damsels are super hardy.

Hope everything turns out ok. You could check out reefcentral for more detailed information.

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
MarlboroMan;1544162; said:
Is the water new in your tank? Most likely your liverock will have die-off, where the organisms can't handle your water chemistry and die, starting a cycle. This cycle could kill your lionfish and eel, I hear damsels are super hardy.

Hope everything turns out ok. You could check out reefcentral for more detailed information.
:DYou can use everything about the lionfish to cycle your tank. Lionfish are too delicate to be able to handle the cycling process. th sunlight will cause U2 have Way too much hair algae, which will eventually kill your Fish, if not controlled properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store