Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Last Activity
    07-10-2014 3:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PeacockBass
    all fish, especially natural preds grow faster on live foods.

cichla will grow DOUBLE the speed if fed on live only opposed to pellets.

Not all. Predatory fish specially piscivores would grow real fast on live food.
    Theres so many vitamins and other trace elements that pellets cannot provide.
    Plus i said what i said because i noticed firsthand that Datnoids grow so much faster on feeders that its ridiculous.

A good compromise would be to feed frozen meaty foods like shrimps and silversides.
    It has good amounts of protein and other substances that pellets lack. Then i just vary by giving pellets and other food.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    12-04-2010 7:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redtailfool
    Not all..

Yes all.

any fish large enough to eat a smaller fish, will have a much better growth rate over one that does not.
    Cichla FoR LyFe

So, my tactic with conservation of apex predators is to get people excited and take them to where they live.
    -Steve Irwin

Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Last Activity
    Yes all.

any fish large enough to eat a smaller fish, will have a much better growth rate over one that does not.

Ive kept tilapias in a pond, paroon sharks and saw firsthand aquacultured clarias, tilapias and other omnivores that would do great with nutritious food and their growth rate is the same than fed with live. People who grow these things for a living know how fast theyre supposed to grow(and have a deadline for harvesting) and they feed it a lot of things but not live as it is not economically viable.

But predatory fishes specially Datnoids and Arowanas grow amazingly fast on live as compared to other foods.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    12-04-2010 7:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redtailfool
    Ive kept tilapias in a pond, paroon sharks and saw firsthand aquacultured clarias, tilapias and other omnivores that would do great with nutritious food and their growth rate is the same than fed with live. People who grow these things for a living know how fast theyre supposed to grow(and have a deadline for harvesting) and they feed it a lot of things but not live as it is not economically viable.

But predatory fishes specially Datnoids and Arowanas grow amazingly fast on live as compared to other foods.

tilapias and clarias will have a large advantage in growth if fed live. I have raised several of each species.

Though Paroon sharks rarely will eat smaller fish, so my experiments with them are rather limited.

also, the reason why aquacultures dont feed live is because its not economical OR practical
    Cichla FoR LyFe

So, my tactic with conservation of apex predators is to get people excited and take them to where they live.
    -Steve Irwin

Wels Catfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-04-2011 8:03 AM
    tilapias and clarias will have a large advantage in growth if fed live. I have raised several of each species.

Though Paroon sharks rarely will eat smaller fish, so my experiments with them are rather limited.

also, the reason why aquacultures dont feed live is because its not economical OR practical
    what about fresh market fish, without freezing.

does it provide the same benifits as live fish?

Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLgAdO
    what about fresh market fish, without freezing.

does it provide the same benifits as live fish?
    Unless you buy at the docks there is no such thing as fresh market fish. It's all frozen for shipping. And, long-haul fishing boats fast freeze their catch in storage holds (except shellfish).
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ad.php?t=51703
    Custodis Piscis Eterna - Eternal Fishkeeper
    Carpe Piscis Extrarius - Seize the Oddball fish.
    Ad Mortem BOHICA

Wels Catfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-04-2011 8:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball
    Unless you buy at the docks there is no such thing as fresh market fish. It's all frozen for shipping. And, long-haul fishing boats fast freeze their catch in storage holds (except shellfish).
    oh i didnt know that

the fish i see in the display look fresh from the dock i thought they just refrigerate them

thanks for da feedback

Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
    They usually don't post it in the store. But, you'll see it in their sales flyers..."Fresh from flash frozen", or "previously frozen", or words to that effect.
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ad.php?t=51703
    Custodis Piscis Eterna - Eternal Fishkeeper
    Carpe Piscis Extrarius - Seize the Oddball fish.
    Ad Mortem BOHICA

Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLgAdO
    oh i didnt know that

the fish i see in the display look fresh from the dock i thought they just refrigerate them

thanks for da feedback

If you feed the thing whole ( smelt and silversides) then it should be as good
    for growth as compared to live feeder fish. Its also a great compromise between
    pellets and live fish.

Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Last Activity

Ugh, not quite. I know a lot of fisheries that use invertebrates such as snails and mollusks and pests like caterpillars such as silkworms in their aquaculture program for tilapias and clarias

It is practical but they get faster growth if mixed with commercial food and others that i am not at liberty to discuss ( its somewhat disgusting).

And Paroons do eat small fish. Anything thats small enough to be inhaled.. just like Pacus.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast