Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    02-06-2012 8:38 PM
    I'm not sure if this was my problem but I had 2 big Angelfish in a community tank and brung home some black velvet mollies, I think thats what they were and the female had some fry and I figured oh well let the others snack on them which they were doing of course. The next day I found my bigger Angel stomach was all big and just figured it had more than its full. Within a few days later the Angel's stomach got even, so I put it in a nursing tank and medicated it and it still died. The guy at the lfs told me that Angels get tumors in their stomachs sometimes so I figured that was it. About a month later the molly had more fry and the same thing happened to my other Angel. Has anyone else had this problem. I figured after the second one died that fry must have been unhealthy for the Angels. Nothing happened to any of my other fish that ate them.
    I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. Abraham Lincoln

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Paul
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
    Blog Entries
    Dunno if the chart is posted here. Here it is anyway for reference.

I stand in awe of my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclockworkorange
    And lupin doesn't want to do that... He's too busy dancing with his iPod on full blast in a purple room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball
    I hope you don't later decide to post your other meals, daily events, and bathroom reports.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-13-2009 7:58 PM
    i feed my 10'' red devil 10 feeders every one or two weeks

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    02-20-2014 10:27 PM

oscar feeding.

I recently bought a MD Red Oscar from a local store, and it's not doing a whole lot. I know they are somewhat sluggish and "lazy" I guess you could say, but he just sits at the bottom the tank in the plants. Every once in a while I will see him move about and be "social", even though it's just him and a small little platy in the tank lol. The Oscar does not bother the little guy, he seems to kind of like him, so I left them as tank mates. I've been trying to feed him, and I don't know if Oscars like flake food? or if they are picky and only eat certain kinds of food. Please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfish;2760240;
    And so Liam set forth on the road of lifelong solitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmorse;3112489;
    ZOMG, ZOMBIES!!!!!!11!1!SHIFTONE!!1

Rest in peace Greenaveli (June 13, 1980 - March 31, 2008)
    2x Red Devil, 1x Green Texas , 2x GT, 1x Senegalus 6", tons of Africans, 3x Common Pleco 6", 7", 11" 1x Rainbow Shark 6" NEED MOAR PHEESH!

Banned
    Usergroup
    Banned
    Last Activity
    11-12-2009 5:47 PM
    I have been considering putting in a pair of platies to give my zebra danios some live food. Is this a bad idea?

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Paul
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedaniokeeper;2708315;
    I have been considering putting in a pair of platies to give my zebra danios some live food. Is this a bad idea?
    It's fine.
    And lupin doesn't want to do that... He's too busy dancing with his iPod on full blast in a purple room.
    I hope you don't later decide to post your other meals, daily events, and bathroom reports.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    12-25-2009 6:23 PM
    So... what do I take away. Feed ghost shrimp and crayfish if any live is necessary. Great write up Doc.
    I used to grab bear claws as kid two at a time...

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Paul
    Blog Entries

Compilation

Ballast substances
    These are effective against intestinal inertia. This frequently occurs, e.g., if discus are fed food low in ballast substances, such as scraped beef heart, for a longer time. Beisdes lacking ballast substances, that kind of nutrition is much too single-sided and does not meet the natural requirements.

Carbohydrates
    Benefits: Carbohydrates are utilized by being chemically converted to sugars and then absorbed as an energy source, or being stored in the tissues for later use. Carbohydrates are important because they are essential for the conversion of amino acids and fats into various other components required for normal functioning.
    Negative effects: Excessive amounts of carbohydrates in the fish's diet can cause liver degeneration and associated diet-related diseases.

Fats
    Benefits: These allow fish to synthesize it with other fatty acids.
    Negative effects: Do not use foods containing too much fats. Too much fats will simply accumulate and can cause organ failure in the fish's body system-a case similar to humans. Carnivorous fish will require no more than 6% crude fat content on their diet.

Fiber
    Benefits: Herbivorous fish will really benefit from this as fiber is often found in plants they eat.
    Negative effects: Fish cannot digest all fiber which is why no more than 10% fiber content is recommended for herbivores and no more than 4% for carnivores and omnivores.

Proteins:
    Benefits: growth and development. Young fish will need more proteins compared to the adults. Herbivorous fish have a lower protein requirement compared to carnivores and omnivores.
    Deficiency: stunting of fish's growth.
    Negative effects: Too much proteins can cause bloat. Herbivorous fish should never be fed with food containing too much proteins as they do not require too much proteins. No more than 30% crude protein content shall be provided to herbivores whereas carnivores will really require at least 45% or more. This will be explained further below.

Minerals
    Minerals are important for the fish to maintain a healthy body system. Flake foods often have very adequate mineral content and have a much longer shelf life compared to vitamins.
    Below are the following minerals with information provided.

Calcium
    Benefits: Fish need calcium like we do. This is important for strong bone structure thus preventing bone defects.
    Deficiency: Deformed bones are often a result from lack of calcium.

Copper
    Deficiency: Reduced growth, cataracts

Iodine
    Benefits: Iodine is also very important preventing goiter in fish.
    Deficiency: This is a very common mineral deficiency in fish. A fish lacking in iodine can suffer goiter, an inflammation in the thyroid glands.
    Treatment: Iodine can be found iodized table salt. The use of table salt, however, is widely debated although most fishkeepers have used it with absolutely no problems.

Iron
    Deficiency: Reduced growth and poor food conversion, anemia
    Negative effects: Too much iron can damage or even kill the fish.

Magnesium
    Deficiency: Reduced growth, cataracts, bone deformation, degeneration of muscles, behavioural changes

Manganese
    Deficiency: Reduced growth, dwarfism, abnormal tail growth, cataracts

Phosphorus
    Benefits: Prevention and recovery of fish from Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE)
    Deficiency: Lack of phosphorus can cause HLLE
    Treatment: Foods available for the fish should contain large quantities of calcium, phosphorus and other trace elements. Fish often rely on foods rather than the water for proper growth and development. Plants are said to contain phosphorus so they can be beneficial in almost every tank.

Selenium
    Deficiency: Reduced growth, cataracts, muscular dystrophy

Zinc
    Deficiency: Reduced growth, high mortality, dwarfism, fin/skin erosion

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Last Activity
    01-28-2012 7:56 PM
    Do you feel the same way towards feeding freshwater fish feeders?

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Paul
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by as4105;2837269;
    Do you feel the same way towards feeding freshwater fish feeders?
    Could you please elaborate this question further? It's a bit vague.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast