New Tank

guppiman13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
illinois
Just got new tank. Its a 29 gallon. I'm going salt and was wondering if anyone had some cool ideas about what I should put in it. i have already thought clowns put would be open to any ideas.

p.s.
want it to be cheap

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
How about some coral
and some invertebrates? You could even put in some damsels, maybe even a dwarf Angel, if you want to. A29 gallon is really not big enough for saltwater fish.

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
I have to agree it wont be the cheepest thing but go corals.
If not buy lr and inverts but mine as well not go cheep and just do corals u only need 120-150 watts which wont be that bad

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
wat r u doing on filtration?

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
If you want to go cheap, forget any corals or reef type setups. You're going to want to do a FOWLR (fish only with live rock).

If I were to do a 30 gallon, I would go for some clowns and other damsels, maybe a dward lion if suitable for a 30.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
don't mix damsels and clowns, they're both damsels and are going to fight non-stop in a tank that small unless you get very lucky. dwarf lions really need a larger tank and most dwarf angels do as well(the exceptions are quite expensive) if you go with soft corals then they can be pretty cheap, especially if you go to a local reef club were sometimes you'll get frags for free or nearly so. don't be afraid to take your time and invest money into your tank over time, i think i recently added up the costs and found i've spent about $300 on my 29g reef but that has been over a 6mo period, only things i've got left to add that i can think of so far are maybe about 10~12lbs more live rock and more corals.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
try grammas or cardinals, maybe a fairy wrasse or some kind of chromid.
there's really a lot of options for 29 you just gotta think a littel more.
also pretty much any type of goby, except for the largest ones.
i have two 29 gallons at home, 1 has a yellow headed sleeper goby, a blackcap gramma, a perc clown, a blue chromis, and a firefish, it's mostly an SPS reef and i have a few shrimp and sponges in there for color.
soft corals are also nice as the wave about, in my 29 biocube i have a blacka nd gold chromis, a velvet damsel, a molly, and a blue devil damsel, i also have a baby fuzzy lionfish, i'm going to relocate the damsels, once i get a 55+ tank going (should be around june) and the lion is going to have tyhe tank to himself. i have a head of green star polyps, some hammer coral, a few red shrooms, and some candycane corals in that tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store