How Much to add?

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Ok so I just got the salt for the tank how much do I add?

It's this salt

It says disolve all of the contents in a 5 gallon bucket.

But says nothing else.

kay-bee

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
What salinity or specific gravity are you attempting to attain? For example more salt would be required if you're trying to achieve a specific gravity of 1.027 than if you were shooting for 1.024.

These levels should be measured with a device such as a refractometer (recommended) or hydrometer. Salt should preferably be mixed for at least 24 hours prior to adding to the tank (to ensure complete dissolvement).

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
??? Unless it says something that has confused you on the packet i dont get the question? Just do what it says and add the whole packet to 5g of water. Pretty simple.

kay-bee

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
chrisdef15;1546909; said:
??? Unless it says something that has confused you on the packet i dont get the question? Just do what it says and add the whole packet to 5g of water. Pretty simple.
Pretty simple, but in a different way.

I use the same brand of salt (though the 200gal containers) and the final direction states to TEST SALINITY prior to use (since all marine tanks aren't maintained at the same salinity).

It all depends on what salinity you're shooting for and what the salt mix formulated at. For example, if adding that entire bag of salt mix to 5gal of water creates salt water with a specific gravity of 1.023, it would create a salinity swing (upwards or downwards) if the salinity of the tank in question isn't maintained at 1.023. I maintain my reef tank at 1.027, so any saltwater I replace when doing water changes will be at 1.027. I maintain my puffer tank at 1.022, and so replacement water following a water change is at 1.022.

Ideally, you'd want to add water of a specified specific gravity rather than a general or 'default' one (i.e., "cup per 2gal".)

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
You need one of those things that shows you how much salt is in your water. You add salt slowly until you reach your salinity level. Adding too much salt sucks, I had to go to the store to buy more water because I added too much salt. ( I only use distilled water)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store