Newby questions

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I have just obtained a 15g tank that is set up with LR, a small filter, fluro light. Inhabitants appear to be a couple of dull fish that hide a lot (I caught a brief look at one - it was goby shaped) some tiny crabs and some snails. I'd like to get a couple of anenomes and some corals with maybe a couple of clowns for inhabitants. The light that came with it is completely inadequate and I was thinking of getting a compact fluro with twin tubes/ It comes with 2x 10000k tubes but I was thinking of changing one over to acintic. Would this be suitable for what I have in mind? I have never had a marine tank before and know nothing

thanks

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Depending on what corals your looking at you will want a light with atleast 50-70watts although im not 100% sure coz not used to working with gallons. For stony stuff like acropora you really want 2-3 times that even.

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
in Liters tank is 60L. The compact flouro I am looking at has 2x 36w tubes @ 10000k, one of which I am thinking of replacing with a 36w acintic which I have heard is good for corals.

As for type of corals - I don't know yet - I have had the tank 1 day and have literally no idea about marine so trying to learn in a hurry. I have bought some marine salt and testing equipment as recommended by my LFS (who kept trying to convince me to spend a fortune on other stuff without justifying why) I have had freshwater fish for a while so I have general fishkeeping basics, but that is about it.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
power compacts will be fine, but may run a bit hot. I would suggest investing a t-5 HO or VHO unit if you were looking to upgrade.

The actinic is a good bulb to have and will promote growth in different colors, as well as enhance color of fish and inverts. LR is a must in a reef tank and i also recommend getting LS as well. LS is not always essential but helps the process.

Consider you type of water as well. RO water is a must for corals due to the fact that tap water has a lot of copper, phosphate, silicates, zinc, etc... Tap water may also increase algae growth which gets old fast lol.

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
sweeTang21;1546047; said:
Consider you type of water as well. RO water is a must for corals due to the fact that tap water has a lot of copper, phosphate, silicates, zinc, etc... Tap water may also increase algae growth which gets old fast lol.
Not entirely true. I've got a 90 gallon reef that is setup and maintained using tap water (that has been apropirately conditioned). Not using RO water just means that you have to be even more aware of the water parameters and definately keep up with your tank maintenance

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
and that makes it not true how??? Tap water and all of those elements MAY increase the growth of algae.

even if its conditioned 90% of common household plumbing is made of copper pipes. Copper is not tolerated by inverts for the most part.

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
all I was saying was that you don't HAVE to use RO water. Hell yes, it's better, but it can be done without using RO. I remember when you weren't supposed to be able to keep discus without using RO water and I've had my 240 running for ever and had 4 discus pair off already...

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I looked at the T5 fittings and there don't seem to be any the right size - tank is a 20" (50cm) and the T5's are all 24". The CF I am looking at is 20" so looks to be the best option.

I am not sure what sort of sand is in the tank - it's fairly coarse, there is some LR and one piece of live soft coral (which I don't think is doing too well...)

Here is a pic of the setup - the soft coral is the pinky thing in the bottom right

marine.JPG

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
I'd like to get a couple of anenomes and some corals with maybe a couple of clowns for inhabitants.
find out what fish are in there before adding more, the clowns will be slightly aggressive so you may end up with just a pair in the tank or a goby or two if your lucky. corals and anemones aren't a good idea in a tank that small, the anemones could easily decide to take a walk and leave a trail of dead corals behind them.
I was thinking of getting a compact fluro with twin tubes/ It comes with 2x 10000k tubes but I was thinking of changing one over to acintic.
the 2x10k will give you good growth but the actinitc will be best of colour. basically the actinitics are only there for colour(and they make a HUGE difference) 2x36w would be good for a tank with soft corals or an anemone, although not both.
i'd suggest switching out the sand for some finer stuff and getting more rock, if you can find a temp. home for the current inhabitants.

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I believe their is only one fish and it's definitely some sort of goby now I have had a closer look. If anyone can ID it it would be appreciated (sorry about the crappy pics)

Tested the tank again tonight and looks like the move has triggered a cycle. Hopefully the inhabitants survive it. I have a cannister filter and a skimmer on order as well as the light so hopefully it'll show up tomorrow or the next day at the latest. I was going to get another chunk of live rock to go in sometime in the next couple of days.

I wasn't aware that anemones moved...... I thought they were needed to encourage clowns to breed

goby1.JPG

goby2.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store