Need Help with Live Rock

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
Ok I have a 75 gallon set up with 40 lbs of live rock and a Rena XP4 packed with ceramic rings. I wanted to add about 30 lbs more of live rock. Can I just add the rock at once???

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
is your tank setup with fish and other stock???

if not then go for it! it may cause a mini-cycle but if you dont have any stock i wouldnt worry about it. If you purchase curred rock from your LFS then you probably wont even see any parameter changes anyways but it depends on how much you let the rock dry and how curred it was before purchase

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
if you've got fish in the tank then i'd only add the rock a bit at a time(like 5~8lbs every week) so that you've got enough of a bio-filter to remove the extra ammonia before it has any time to damage anything.

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
craig;1548332; said:
Invest in a protein skimmer.
I have one I just didn't mention it in the post because it wasn't really relevant to removing ammonia.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
if no fish add it... if fish and its not cured add it in stages or get another cheap skimmer and a rubbermaid trash can and cycle/cure the rock

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah it depends if you have fish,etc in it or not,

if you don't great add some rock (cured, uncured, base, anything)
if you do you'll need to add cured rock or as said a little at a time.

jdllme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
Georgia
if it is cured add a little at the time if uncured put it in a bucket and let the die off happen outside of your tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store