newby question

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
depends on how "live" the live rock you're using to seed the lava rock with is, in my tank i started seeing micro-verts on the base rock within a week or so and i expect that within a few months will be indestinguishable from the rest of my rock.

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
it takes about a month for it to become fully live.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
if fully live means that you can't tell between it and live rock at the store.. depending on how good the rock was from a month or two to about a year, also dpendsing on thetank conditions.
but i digress,
dry lava rock and medium quality LR should be a few months to be indestinguishable

??SLEEPY??

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Maryland
would the inhabits in the live sand live on/in lava rock without any live rock present in the aquaria? Im not really trying to buy lr its just expensive.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
if you don't have the live rock then all you'll have is bacteria covered rock, if you want all the neat feather dusters, coraline algaes, sponges, worms, pods etc that make live rock so freakin amazing then invest in some good quality rock, preferably freshly imported and uncured. you don't even have to do it at once, you can do it 5~8lbs at a time.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
alot of pods and worms actually come in on your sand. you won't have as much stuff as you would if your bought some live rock, but you'll definately have some good stuff there.

??SLEEPY??

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Maryland
thx. I guess im going to but a couple of pounds of live rock and live sand with lava rock, or is that the best choice for a marine aquaria.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
personally i like basalts and limestones, more than mica (which is what i think lava rock is made from).
unfortunalty basalt and lime stone are heavier than lava, as such costmore, but i think it looks better and buffers better than lava rock ever will.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store