YAy NEW LIONFISH

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
SO well i got a new volitan lionfish in my 135 and he is good eats frozen well
and i was just wonderin ur comments obviously poisonous but how much and wat do i do if i get stung the guy at thelfs got stung getting him out of the tank

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Kdcarey;1547939; said:
SO well i got a new volitan lionfish in my 135 and he is good eats frozen well
and i was just wonderin ur comments obviously poisonous but how much and wat do i do if i get stung the guy at thelfs got stung getting him out of the tank
Immerse the area where you are stung in hot water. The heat helps break down the venom.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
the venom is enzymes, so hot water(as hot as you can handle) would denature them

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
I agree with the above advice. But really, you should never put yourself in a position to be stung in the first place. Volitans will never intentionally sting you, they are just curious. So when they see a limb submerged into there domain they will probably come to check it out. Most stings occur when aquarists brush past a Volitan! This is why divers find them so easy to catch, instead of them swimming away, they swim towards the diver to investigate.
So If you have to place your arms in your system for whatever reason, use a simple partition to trap the volitan at the other end. Ive kept volitans since the early seventies, and this method has never failed me.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
lifespan and size?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store