Death by Monster Aquarium?

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
I'm sure this topic is probably taboo here, but after reading the thread of the other poor guys 300 gallon failing, it seems there is a real danger if one happens to be in front of a monster tank when it fails. Especially the real big ones, people using 4 x 8ft acrylic sheets for example.

Has anyone heard of any one getting seriously hurt or killed from a spectacular aquarium failure?

I have a legitimate concern since I'm completing my own monster tank... 15,000lbs of water on what I find now is only a 3in concrete slab. Combined with 1in holes every 8 inches for anchors around the perimeter, I have to admit it will be a constant concern, at least for a while, while sitting in front of this thing, that I could get my head caved the hell in at any moment.

oscarluvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
TEXAS
well i dont think i would worry about it to much, concrete tests at 3500lbs psi for 3 inc h thickness.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
i sit face to face with my 8ft x 3ft aquarium daily. infactuated? yes, worried? not even one bit.

heavier tanks are heavier to move. they wont just fall. you would have to have produced a really crappy stand knowing it was going to happen. tanks don't jus tip over.

don't build it, if u can't have confidence in it. follow proper guides and you'll be fine.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
That's good to know. I consulted an engineer and he gave me a green flag too... but accidents and flukes do happen. Just reading the aquarium failure thread shows that. One would think a manufactured aquarium would have a lot of built in safety but even they still fail sometimes due to flaws.

There are so many unknown variables when it comes to poured concrete. The house is 55 years old so I'm sure its all settled, but you can never know if one section might be thinner than the rest, ect. The only way to be truely satisfied is if I poured it myself, which wouldn't be a bad idea when considering the scope and cost of the project.

Besides, if nothing else, I thought this might be an interesting thread...

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
ethnics;1552797; said:
i sit face to face with my 8ft x 3ft aquarium daily. infactuated? yes, worried? not even one bit.

heavier tanks are heavier to move. they wont just fall. you would have to have produced a really crappy stand knowing it was going to happen. tanks don't jus tip over.

don't build it, if u can't have confidence in it. follow proper guides and you'll be fine.

Not worried about them "falling" but failing.... as in if you suddenly have a 200lb piece of glass charging at you with the weight of thousands of pounds a water pushing it. Or god forbid- a 400lb+ piece of acrylic with 10's of thousands of pounds behind it.. Or if you have your face against the glass, and a rock falls over inside, and a huge break happens and the sharp edge pushes out at you with the force of a samurai sword wielded by a rock giant... ect.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
if a tank is engineered correctly there should be no problems at all..... look at johnptc and arapaimags tanks.... they are on the ultimate level of tanks and have no problems...

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
I would love to put my tank in my bedroom but I am scared that there is the chance that i would not wake up one day.....

Just take all of the precautions.... engineer everything to the best standards..........................., and forget about it..... because that is all you can do.......... if something happens after that then it was going to happen anyway.....

In my opinion...., This is an inconvienent thread......, because I am going to pick up my 600 gallon this weekend.... Ha-ha...., but seriously MFKer's dont want to think/talk about it.... :)

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
i knew what u meant. i was just throwing more options out for you to not be afraid of.

i've been keeping fish for over 14 years. i've never witnessed a tank fail in person or even heard of one locally. i've seen tanks leak, drained them n fixed them. i've bought used tanks that i've been using for a few years. designing a box to hold water isn't rocket science. its basic physics, go a tad overkill and your more then fine.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
In my opinion...., This is an inconvienent thread......, because I am going to pick up my 600 gallon this weekend.... Ha-ha...., but seriously MFKer's dont want to think/talk about it.... :)[/quote]

I hear you... yeah, my bad. But I'm doing exactly as you say, full steam ahead with this no matter what. But its only being responsible to consider the posibility.

My main concern is my family, actually. As soon as I get this bad boy totally done and all details installed, I'll undoubtedly have the family over so i can show it off. So then there will be another several thousand pounds of weight standing around the tank in the form of people.. if anything was going to happen short of an earthquake, it would probably be then...

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
spiff;1552946; said:
In my opinion...., This is an inconvienent thread......, because I am going to pick up my 600 gallon this weekend.... Ha-ha...., but seriously MFKer's dont want to think/talk about it.... :)

I hear you... yeah, my bad. But I'm doing exactly as you say, full steam ahead with this no matter what. But its only being responsible to consider the posibility.

My main concern is my family, actually. As soon as I get this bad boy totally done and all details installed, I'll undoubtedly have the family over so i can show it off. So then there will be another several thousand pounds of weight standing around the tank in the form of people.. if anything was going to happen short of an earthquake, it would probably be then...[/quote]

Gotchya....., just over engineer it, and you will be able to sleep at night....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store