I'm making an elasmobranch pond!

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I'm fifteen years old. Sounds stupid to be making a shark and ray pond at my age right? Well I'm fifteen but I attend a college and have always had a great interest in sharks and rays. Not to mention I helping out with the Fresno Aquarium here in California which is just starting up. I know a lot about elasmobranchii and I love keeping fish and I have a great passion for shark conservation and I see this as a great opportunity to help with it. I currently have a 150 gallon fw tank filled with cichlids and plants. My plan is to find some above ground pool that will work to keep native Californian small sharks and rays. So does anyone have any suggestions for an above ground pool to use that doesn't contain any metal and is in 15-20 foot diameter range and around 3-4 feet deep? Also any recommended commercially available filters. I was thinking about making my own filter hough using a fountain pump and a box containing the filter media before the water gets to the pump. Also any good protein skimmers, and sump systems?
There is a local sand supplier in Fresno although I live about 50 miles from it in Merced. They legally take sand from around Monterey bay that is natural and really good especially for marine aquariums. It also contains some of the natural microbial organisms which is always beneficial and would be coming from my aquatic life's natural area. Not to mention its at a great price. Is it possible to put sand in an above ground pool that is not inflatable? Also I was thinking about 2 leopard sharks either that or 2 swell sharks, a few round rays, 1 shovel nose guitar fish and thats as far as the elasmobranchs go. I'm also thinking about adding some native fish too. Would this be a good group. I don't have much knowledge about mixing species together and stocking a tank I have a feeling that this might be too many fish in one aquarium. I have researched to death how to care for these guys. Legally it will be my mother or father that owns this because I'm still technically a minor but I will be the one taking care of it and I guess my mother and or father will oversee it to make it legal. Are there any other legal requirements to keep the species I have listed like special permits?
Thanks,
Serafino:grinno::woot:

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - yeah you can find above ground swimming pools in the 15-24 ft range that aren't made with metal. But they usually cost a bit more and tend to be called Resin Framed pools. Also some people use the portable pools - and replace the metal framing with PVC.

Either way here's a site - with lots of choices.

http://www.arthurspools.com/abovegroundpools/abovegroundpools.htm

With Leopard sharks - you want a pool that at least 18' in diameter - if you plan on keep them for a couple of years. But for their Life - I would suggest at least a 24' diameter

With the California Gray Smoothhounds - you could stick with the 18' diameter pool.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
www.redewald.com has great fiberglass tanks to use for holding tanks.
For filters, I suggest www.aquaticeco.com.

You have great ambition to be looking into this at 15 years old. Check California law when it comes to housing elasmos. They are tighter than most.

sharkdealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
los angeles
Serafino,
You didn't mention what size budget you have to work with so I'm going to go with the most economical options. A company named INTEX makes above ground pools commonly available at wal-mart and target (although at this time of year you'll have to search their on-line catalogs) that are 15 and 18 foot diameter by 3 feet deep. They have a pretty durable liner and it should be adequate for what you want to keep. A pond/box filter will be way too small for the size pool you're considering. I would use a sand filter or better yet a bead filter (if you need help finding these you can PM me). You'll also want to turn over your water volume at least 3 times per hour so you'll need a decent sized pump. If you want to use sand from Monterey Bay you can, but I would not recommend it for a variety of reasons. I would use #0 grade coral sand. It's very fine and perfect for sharks and rays. It will also help buffer the pH. As far as collecting your own fish goes you will need to obtain a special license from the CA DFG to do this. Unlike other states that let you take live animals from the ocean with only a sport fishing license CA does not. You'll have to get a Marine Aquaria Collectors License (about $375.00) and that will only allow you to take for personal use. You won't be able to sell them later unless you buy a couple of other licenses (add another $2000.00). The other option is to buy them from a store or wholesaler because they have permits to cover these situations. You don't want DFG coming after you because they have no problem fining you for the littlest thing. Remember that CA is broke and all of these agencies are looking to generate as much revenue for their departments as possible. This especially applies to your desire to have leopard sharks. Leopards are not legal to collect or possess under 36 inches. That'll be a big fat fine and won't look good on your resume at the Fresno Aq. (But if you're a cool guy I'll put in a good word with Tom Lange for you). By the way, I am unaware of saltwater rays being illegal to have in CA. Unless that's a new law for 2008. I still see rays for sale at all of the wholesalers in town. The freshwater rays are illegal for sure. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

myfishhadbabies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2006
ca
i think saltwater rays are legal, but freshwater rays are illegal like sharkdealer said, but i would double check to make sure.

Brenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Serafino - As already asked, what is your budget for this project? To set up a system large enough to house Leopard Sharks for life is going to cost a decent amount of money. Despite the financial burden do you have the room for such a project? I do not want to come across as "coming down on you" but at the age of 15 its going to need to take alot of parental backing to get such a project off the ground. Also I would not recommend jumping right into such a project without any personal experiences with elasmobranches. However to stay on topic and to answer your question, a good depth would be around the 3' range, just make sure to use a lid / net to cover the pool as Leopards are known to jump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store