salt water algae eaters

BILVIS22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
MA
hello gang...first question....what are your thoughts on the best cleaners for a salt water tank...never dealt with salt b4....are there salt plecos...thanks in advance

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
that would be nice, but snails and certain stars are going to be the closest. I'm sure there's more but I'm not thinking of them right now.

BILVIS22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
MA
There must be somebody out here that has an idea about this....thnx sweeTang21

pebble

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
usa
best cleaner would be yourself if algae grows on the glass of your tank. next choice would be snails, not turbo snails tho.

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
salt pleco's lol cute..... whats wrong with turbo snails? can you have turbo snails in a nano reef tank?

( sorry for stealing your thread )

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
How big is your tank? Snails, some starfish, hermit crabs, some blenny species and they can also clean the glass, Some dwarf angels like flames, and tangs and rabbitfish if its a decent sized tank.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
yeah the hair algae would be the easiest to find eaters for. as chrisdef mentioned tangs, blennies, rabbitfish etc but for getting it off the glass you start looking at youreslf or snails. Turbos are okay but not recommended. My cousin had some and they kept knocking the coral over so he got rid of them. not sure what sp. he has now

Butter73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2007
Nebraska
For algae on the glass nothing beats a razor blade. I let the algae grow on the sides and back I think it makes the tank look better. I also have several different snails as well as crabs to help.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
astreas are the generally accepted best cleaners, but turbos or margeritas would be great in a large FO or FOWLR.

BILVIS22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
MA
Thanks to all of you...I am the cleaner of a few tanks and one just loves to grow algae...thought I would ask the experts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store