Angelfish and aquarium salt?

weegotfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
CA
Does anybody know whether or not angelfish can tolerate aquarium salt? I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with about 6 tablespoons of aquarium salt. (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) and I cannot keep angelfish alive in my tank for more than 20 days. I've successfully kept angelfish alive and healthy in the past without salt in my old aquarium, so I'm assuming the salt is the problem.

So far I have tried to keep three angelfish. All of them were from different stores and were perfectly healthy. I find it very odd that they all died the same way too. They all seemed to be perfectly happy until one day they all of the sudden become weak and die within the blink of an eye. No visible sign of disease, water levels perfectly normal, plenty of oxygen, temperature perfect, all other fish are happy.

What in the world is killing my favorite fish! Is it the salt, or could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated.

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
Sounds more like parisites instead of salt. why are you using the salt anyway?

weegotfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
CA
I'm using the salt primarily for disease prevention (Ich in particular).

If parasites are in fact killing my angel fish, wouldn't there be visible signs? I would certainly like to treat my tank if parasite infestation is even remotely possible. What product would be good?

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
Ditch the salt, angelfish naturally enjoy their tank temperatures at around 82 degree's or so, which is a natural prevention against ich in the first place.

There are a million in one reasons the angelfish could be dying, but keeping salt in a tank on a consistent basis with non-brackish species is never a good idea.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
You will be creating salt-resistant strains of ich. No reason to use salt and salt is not a miracle product that would prevent any disease there is. It's myth all over again.

DBL TAP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2008
USA
I would sterilize the tank, start new and purchase Angels from a different dealer. Try to find a dealer (locally or online) that specializes in Angels.

A few years back when I had a fish store there was some unknown disease that was killing Angels and your fish's symptoms sound very familiar.

Good luck

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i keep some kosher salt in my angel tank at all times.... never noticed my altums to not like it or cause any stress....

jakeca77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Golden State of Mind
I use salt with my Angels, but I also don't use as much as you do. I use about half of what the box suggests. 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon. Have you moved recently? I'm just asking because it could be your water. I was keeping Angels no problem just using neutral regulator in my water. When I moved to a different part of town, they all just started dying. Even though all the other fish were fine. It turned out to be the water.. I then started using equal part neutral regulator with discus buffer which I think gets my pH to about 6.8 or 6.9 and haven't had a problem since I started using the buffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store