Is this adequate?

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Just a quick question on filtration. Ok, I know this is good turnover on a 55 gallon, but I want to make sure my set up is sufficient for my stock. I have a penguin 200 and an aqua clear 110 set up on it, plus a powerhead that I took out just last night for cleaning.

I have a heavy bioload in this tank right now, it's not overstocked yet, but it will be. :irked: I have a six inch oscar, two blood parrots about 3 inches each and a red-finned shark at four inches. And two four inch tinfoil barbs my sister-in-law just HAD to have (now they're in my tank after killing all of her platies.) That's cutting it really close, I know, but a bigger filter is my solution until I can get a bigger tank. It's going to be like this for three months, or so. I knew I'd have to upgrade when I rescued the oscar at three inches in December. So, will my set up be ok for a while? Anyone want the barbs? lol

davidtcb1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Nashville TN
Well, the Oscar alone will very soon be a task for a Penguin 200 and an AC HOB. With frequent water changes/gravel cleaning, you'll be able to make it for a while. But the Oscar and two Blood Parrots are three fish that will get larger really rapidly. Not to mention that you've already got a four inch shark in there that's growing every day. I'd either look at choosing which fish you want to keep or getting a 100 gallon or more tank. I'd suggest a canister filter also...something like a RENA Xp3 along with one of those HOBs. The mechanical filtration will be a lot stronger and a good supplement to the filtration you already have. You won't believe how fast that Oscar will grow! And you already know how much waste they produce!

Good luck.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Thanks.

I already know I want to get rid of the barbs. I couldn't let them get flushed. The only reason I don't want to get a canister filter is because the tank will have to be in my room, and a hob is about as loud as I can tolerate while I sleep, and most canisiters are pretty loud, ime. I'm looking to go to at least 90 gallons. Over 100 gallons would be ideal, but they're hard to find locally at a price I can afford (ie 100 gallon tank and stand for $1200 on cl :screwy:). I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a deal, though.

davidtcb1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Nashville TN
I own three RENA XP3s and I have to touch them or put my ear physically on the side of the filter to tell if they're even on. Virtually no noise.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
So, they're pretty quiet? Wow. Sold. I was SOOO tempted to get a rena canister when I got the ac 110, but I didn't because I've heard some terrible, noisy canisters. I should have asked on here first. So, I'll save up a little and get a Rena that I can use on my next tank.

Maybe I'm too suggestable, but you should consider becoming a Rena sales representative.:ROFL:

davidtcb1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Nashville TN
Ha, yes, I'm a pretty big fan of them so far.

By HOBs make a lot more noise than the Renas. They are simple to clean and setup too. I've never heard one make a noise. Keep your eye on www.drsfosterandsmith.com They often run a special on them way lower in price than a Petsmart or your LFS.

That with your penguin and you should be good to go filter wise.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Great, thanks. I'll definitely keep a look out there. My lfs is a joke. They sell tattoo mollies, tattoo koi, painted glass fish, colored jelly bean parrots, AND heartshaped blood parrots. They only sell equipment sufficient for tiny tanks, they smoke in the shop, and they thought a dragon goby was a bichir. Seriously. Even if they had the most excellent deal ever on a Rena, I wouldn't buy it from them.

davidtcb1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Nashville TN
Wow, classy place.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
get it off the internet.

You can get a fluval 404 (previous version of the 405) brand new off ebay for $87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
I've been searching ebay, and I came across a Jebo 829. It's like $60 or so plus an extra $34 for shipping. So it's a brand new canister for up to 150 gallons for around 100 bucks. Good deal? I've never heard of Jebo. Anyone have any experience with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store