cory cat gulps air from top?

ricey0809

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
new york
so my cory cat i just got a few days ago keeps gullping air from the top, are they surpose to do this or do i not have enuff oxyen in my tank? my other fishes dont seem to be gulping air from the top

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
It's normal. The hard scales make hard for them to breath, so they gulp air from the surface and store it in a sack. If it was lack of oxygen, all your fish would be doing that.

ricey0809

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
new york
but one of my cats do it so offen, i have two cats right now both babys, one of them does it like maybe every 30 mins while the other one does it every 10 secs or just stay up there for like a few mins

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
I have 5 corys, they all do it, just at different intervals. Is he acting fine the rest of the time? Is he actually up there every 10 seconds?

ricey0809

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
new york
hehe he was, now he is fine :) ty for the fast reply, i never knew cat fishes need air like that. i learn somthing new about this hobby every day lol. i love it

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
No problem. I knew that because a few months ago I had the same concern.

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
I never gave them anything special. They get bloodworms, brine shrimp, algea wafers, and left over flake food, just like the rest of my fish. Occasianally they get peas. I don't know about cucumbers, but zuchini is good for Plecos, so it should be good for Corys also.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
53special;1566550; said:
It's normal. The hard scales make hard for them to breath, so they gulp air from the surface and store it in a sack. If it was lack of oxygen, all your fish would be doing that.
What might this be called?

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
From Aquaticcommunity.com
If you notice that your Corydoras occasionally leaves the bottom to breathe air at the surface, there is no need to be alarmed. This is a normal behaviour in Corydoras and does not indicate gill infections. The fish draws air into its mouth and absorb it through the wall of its intestine. Left over air is then released through the vent. This fascinating form of breathing is an adaptation to low-oxygen waters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store