URGENT - Need help on my arowana

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
Help!!! My arowana is in dire danger ='( please advice
This thread might be long, please forgive me, but I would try to detail as much as possible to the current situation

Here's the story:
I have a 75 gal tank with a green arowana and 2 tiger shovelnose catfish
arowana and 1 TSN's size is 9" (other TSN 8")

The other day, my arowana got attacked two anchor worms, one near the gills and the other on the left front fin. The two worms are now dead and no visible sign of itching or scratching have occured since last night. I did not use dimilin, rather, a quite good alternative that worked.

I used salt concentration in my tank since the arowana seemed perfectly healthy and thus could surpass the procedure (I fed him 2 MW just before I started so as he could have some reserves just in case he didn't feel like eating later). I implied a 1.5% salt solution in my tank (i.e. around a cup of salt was dissolved in glass and poured into the tank). This concentration lasted for 12 hours before reduced to 1% so as to make sure that the anchor worm is dead and new hatchlings are killed. After 2 hours, I reduced the concentration to around .08% and added an anti-anchor worm solution (reduction on salt concentration were done by calculated water changes, so it took approximately 15 gals initial WC and another 10 gals WC).

The problem is that the PH level of my tank was up last night, way beyond the 7.6 ph indicator. The water seemed fine and my arowana was back to normal again right after the concentration was reduced (during the concentration procedure, the arowana noticeable was itching and scratching on parts where the anchor worm attached and other areas of possible infection, after the procedure, no signs occured) - i cannot make the procedure longer as dehydration on open wounds could occur. Last night I used blackwater solution to bring down my PH.

This morning 6-8 hours later, it seems that the first signs of cloud eye appeared, my arowana didn't have appetite and was breathing heavily. after 30 gals WC and another 10 gals WC, I managed to drop my PH to 7.2. Now I believe my problem was the water was contaminated last night. I believe it's cloudy eye as the eyes are starting to cloud a bit and is a bit swolen on the upper portion of the eyes (similar to how a mild drop eye looks like). I have gravel and driftwood in the tank (cleaned 40% of it in WC) and have placed a small additional submersible filter near the gravel to help clean it for now. My TSN seems fine but they have already been tried and tested and are VERY hardy (didn't have the anchor worms either). For all the water changes, I used very little rock salt to help a bit but not cause further irritation (around 2 tbsp). The anchor worms have not yet been removed (I will be buying tweezors in an hour or so - I am though scared of removing the dead worm as it is a nasty manual procedure and the current state my arowana is in, that really raises concern).

My water temperature is currently 27-28C. Should I raise it to 30-33C (I have yet to buy a heater now if that's the case - I live in the tropics by the way so heater isn't an instant neccesity in our tanks)? Would this really help in the condition of my arowana? What else should I do?

Can someone please help? If the condition worsens, it would be fatal. For now, slight improvement have been seen after the last WC mentioned (he is less frantic and could swim a bit). Please please help me.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
oh dude i'm sorry best opition is keep up on water change clody eye is prob from rasie in ph then a drop. also he might have baged his head on glass from the strees keep up on your WC and i hope the best for you green :)

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
As far as the worms, just make sure you grab them as close to the fish as possible.

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
Is it okay if I let them stay there atleast until tomorrow (16-20 hours or so)? I'm afraid of the possibility of opening the wound... Are there any easy way of doing this procedure? I can only imagine using net and tweezors without resorting to fish tranquilizer.

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
I would take them out as soon as possible. We took our fish (much smaller than you aro) in your hands and just pulled them out very close to the fish. It may take 2 people to do it safely on your fish. If you can leave it in the net, it may work better.

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
thanks, I will do that in 6 hours time... he is now swimming slantly, but still swimming a bit unlike this morning where he seems to be moving because he is losing his mind. I will do a 10 gals WC in around an hour (will clean the glass before the WC to remove any contaminant in the glass)
53special;1566674; said:
I would take them out as soon as possible. We took our fish (much smaller than you aro) in our hands and just pulled them out very close to the fish. It may take 2 people to do it safely on your fish.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
EjA;1566690; said:
thanks, I will do that in 6 hours time... he is now swimming slantly, but still swimming a bit unlike this morning where he seems to be moving because he is losing his mind. I will do a 10 gals WC in around an hour (will clean the glass before the WC to remove any contaminant in the glass)
your doing great you can only hope for the best now :) try to be postive too :)

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
by the way, the anchor worms are all shriveled up due to the salt concentration. Just in case that info would contribute to something... it looks like a very small thin piece of lint or thread of cotton and around 2/5 of its original size, should I hope it simply falls off...
53special;1566674; said:
I would take them out as soon as possible. We took our fish (much smaller than you aro) in your hands and just pulled them out very close to the fish. It may take 2 people to do it safely on your fish. If you can leave it in the net, it may work better.

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
UPDATE: He is now in a 20 gal hospital tank so I can measure any parameter much much easier, exact anti anchor worm medication has been placed and he now looks more calm although there were shells of SW that came out of his fins a while ago. I am unable to extract the dead worms as they are too small (shriveled) and I am too scared, can someone please advice? I also bought medication, tetracycline, hope I don't have to use it...

Can someone please help me how to administer tetracycline on a 9" arowana currently swimming in a 20gal (half filled) tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store