29 gallon biocube

cmj76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2006
New York
Hello, I have had a 29 gallon biocube with 1-clown fish, 2-peppermint shrimp, some hermit crabs blue legged and 1 red legged ,some small snails my turbo's must have died, and some zoos for about 7 months now and have gotten a outbreak of hair algae. Its been a ongoing battle. I just put some bubble culerpia and some feather type culerpia in my tank. I just placed a order for algae magic, Fission Nano-Protein Skimmer , Reef Crystals salt (I make my own salt using distilled water), and chemipure elite. When the arrive I am going to scrub all the rocks that have hair algae on them, Do a water change about 10 gallons with reef crystals salt, add the algae magic, add chemipure elite bag, and add protein skimmer. I have removed all my bioballs 6 months ago and replaced them with live rock rubble. I am using aqua-pure phosphate filter pad as I removed the pad that came with my biocube because it was constantly getting clogged. I am wondering if anyone has any good/bad reviews on any of the items I am going to put into my tank especially the Fission Nano-Protein skimmer ? I have heard mixed reviews on this. I hope it works correctly. Any info will greatly be appriciated. Also I would like to change the stock pump , what would be a good replacement ? Thank You.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I would like to learn more about your tank!!

What is your source of water??

What was your actual water test readings??

what is your lighting schedual??

Just a few things that will help us identify the source

clownfishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
OhighO
i have a 29 bio cube too. why dont you like the pump? it is about 3 to 4 times stronger than the 14 gallon bio cube. whats better, live rock rubble or bio balls?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
rock rubble is better then bio balls, but the rock rubble traps more sand and detritus then the bio balls would. Eventually the rock rubble would just as bad IMO as the bio balls as far as nitrate. The best thing you can do for filtration is have good water flow in the tank, good amount of LR, a small fuge if possable. The fuge would remove the phosphate and nitrate with the live stored in them this would get rid of any algae problems. Being its a bio-cube you may not be able to do this.

Ice001520

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Shelby Township, MI
Is the Nano-Skimmer you are talking about the one that is made for bio-cubes and fits directly in the back?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store