Lighting question?

Butter73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2007
Nebraska
Has anyone on here ever heard of or had an Odyssea light fixture? I saw a 36" 250 watt metal Halide with power compacts for 189.00 plus shipping. This sounds to good to be true. I have read mixed reviews on them but thought I would ask you people about them. Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I have heard poor reviews about there ballasts. im not sure on what brand they use on bulbs or ballasts. If you really want to know a lot about this lighting unit, i would send out a post on 3reef or reefsanctuary. They have a huge amount of seasoned reef aquarist that will most likely have run across this particular brand in there lifetime.

Good Luck

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
check out RC, there was an insanely long thread about these fixture. most of the people who got them said they were great bang for the buck stock but decided to mod the hell out of them. i'm using their PC fixture and love it. a lot of the crap you hear about "it'll set your house on fire" was second and third hand stories from guys whose ballasts started smoldering, there are very few actual fires from the fixtures and those were the old magnetic tar ballasts that used to be in the fixtures.
*edit* here's the link- http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Danyal;1640981; said:
check out RC, there was an insanely long thread about these fixture. most of the people who got them said they were great bang for the buck stock but decided to mod the hell out of them. i'm using their PC fixture and love it. a lot of the crap you hear about "it'll set your house on fire" was second and third hand stories from guys whose ballasts started smoldering, there are very few actual fires from the fixtures and those were the old magnetic tar ballasts that used to be in the fixtures.
*edit* here's the link- http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I never heard anything about them causing fires, lol, but only that there ballasts were way under powered. I have no personaly experience with them but word of mouth is all i know on them. good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store