Top Protein Skimmers

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
just curious, wat is everyone's favorite skimmer?

also, im lookin for one under 200$ that would be good for a 55gal FO system.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
asm g1 series would do well if you had a sump, otherwise an aqua C remora would be a good bet for a hangon. Im not sure on cost for the Aqua C but i think the ASM is a little under 200.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
someone recomended the Octopus BH 100F. i checked it out. it looks pretty good. only 150 too. i liked the remora skimmers too. i have a canopy on the back of my tank. is that going to cause problems with overhead clearence? theres a wooden bar directly over the side of the tank that gives maybe 2-3" clearence but if the skimmer hangs behind that it would be fine. idk ill look at it again

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
If you've got the dough.............Deltec and Bubble King are expensive but from what I've read,some awesome skimmers!!! There is another skimmer but I forgot the name They are good, but usually are like bragging rights to show other reefers that you have the dough to spend on these.

If you don't have that much money, euroreef, asm, tunze, and others are very good.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I like to stick with the ASM brand. I usually always use a sump so it works best. My G-2 series is good for a 250 gallon tank, but i have no sump so i cant use it yet. The octopus has had some good ratings but i dont know that many hobbiest that own one.

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
I have to disagree with mkman's remarks concerning the Deltec skimmers. I run a AP902 on my Predator system, not for the bragging rights, but because a super-efficient skimmer is the fundamental heartbeat of such a system, they can literally dictate success or failure.
Yes, they are expensive, but it must be looked at as an investment, not a luxury.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
im thinkin about going with the AquaC remora skimmer. they seem like a great product from wat ive read

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
i have a PS75(aquatrader brand) under my 29g in a 20g sump with about 8g of water, i like it a lot. when i had it tuned better and was keeping the sump level stable(by toping off every other day) i was getting about 8oz of dark brownish green skimmate every 3 days. it only cost me $42 shipped too. right now i need to clean it out and keep the water level more stable but i'm still getting a couple oz of skimate every 3~5 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store