do i need a skimmer for a 15 gal?

hydroponic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2008
Missouri
i just started a 15 gal saltwater with 15lbs of live rock. i also bought a nice 3 stage filter with bio, sponge, and charcoal for a 30 gal tank that the lfs lady recommended. at the time i was not really aware of protein skimmers, but after reading tons of threads i notuice everybody seems to have one. all of their tanks are much bigger than mine though. so do i need to invest in one of these?

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
It would help, but you really dont need one on a tank that size. Weekly water changes should be sufficient.

As for the filter you bought, you may want to ditch the sponge and the bio filtration and just replace it with live rock. The sponge will collect debris and as they decompose, it will raise the nitrates/phosphates. You can add the carbon whenever you feel its nessasary.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
larger tanks would be better without one, then a smaller tank. The 3stage filter sounds fine, but you dont really have a need for the BIO portion, being your rock is your bio filter. Do you have live sand as well?? The carbon can be used as well. I know alot of aquarist who dont use it at all, and then some who swear by it. Personal preference really.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I have a Backpac on my 15g Mantis shrimp tank. Als use an Aquaclear 300 as a HOB fuge.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
hydroponic;1576575; said:
i just started a 15 gal saltwater with 15lbs of live rock. i also bought a nice 3 stage filter with bio, sponge, and charcoal for a 30 gal tank that the lfs lady recommended. at the time i was not really aware of protein skimmers, but after reading tons of threads i notuice everybody seems to have one. all of their tanks are much bigger than mine though. so do i need to invest in one of these?
Would be good to have a skimmer, but you may not need one with weekly water changes. Depends on what you want to stock your tank with too.

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
You may want to consider just turning your filter into a fuge. You could add a small cf light and some chaeto...

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
a small nano type would be benificial...

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I don't even use a light over mine. The tank light is enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store