Fastest Breeding / Feeder fish?

Ransom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Derbyshire / England
I plan on geting a 2foot tank something small that i can ideally breed some feeders in
its going to be placed in the cupboard under the stairs with a timer light so they do get some light

but what fish?
what breeds fast and grows fast ?
how many fry / average fish per xx months??

what do other people do,
do you just buy gold fish from the shop or do you breed your own?

Thanks
Ransom

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I don't have fish that I feed fish to anymore, but when I did, I would breed guppies, convicts, and salvini, of whose fries I used as feeders

bigjason12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
get a small tank, a crappy little heater and filter, gravel, few plants.. and put a hell as many guppys, platys and mollys in as you can!
Use your own method to save the babys/food ;)

bettapits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Philippines
agree to put a lot of guppies and platies... they grow fast just feed the fry regularly in 3 weeks you can feed them to your monster...

Ransom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2006
Derbyshire / England
thanks guys sounds easy enough ill just get a small tank an set it up

thx

Enoid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Colorado
Agreed. Lots of Live bearers, but get lots of fake\real plants with small leaves. Increases Survival rate if you need them to live.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
Just a note, live bearers are going to take a while to get an initial stock. Their gestation period is about a month (sometimes less, sometimes more), and young live bearers first drops are always less than usual.

After you get an established tank going, though, you will have a constant supply of babies!

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Id go with convicts over livebearers. One pair of convicts can produce 200 or so fry every 2 weeks in a 10 - 20 gallon tank compared to dozens of guppies producing few fry and eating some etc. Cons will raise their young for you and rarely eat fry. With a divider you could house 2 pairs of small cons in that tank and have lots of feeders for your fish.

Reactions: Dloks

Enoid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Colorado
I worry about that spine the convicts have though...I don't know if it would bother anything or not...But its there. I don't want a 2cent fish killing my $200 fish because of a spine, Right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store