Questions About Malawi Cichlids

MissFancyPants25

Feeder Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Ca
Please keep in mind that I am extremely new to this and probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm going to be moving in a few months, but once I get settled in I would really like to have fish. I started looking into what kind of fish I wanted to get and was completely captivated by some Lake Malawi Cichlids that I saw pictures of. Someone I know has a book on fish, so I flipped to the cichlid section and coppied down info (size, diet, temperament..etc.) on the ones that I thought were especially beautiful.

My problem is that I don't know what cichlids I can put in together and how many I should put in what size aquarium. I want my aquarium size to depend on how many fish I choose, instead of picking the tank size first. Here is a list of some of the cichlids that I copied info about (I just used the names that were in the book, since I don't know what their common names are), and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these particular fish go well together, how many of each type would be a good choice (esp. how many males to females), and I would also love to hear suggestions on other fish that can go with the ones that I'm listing.

1. Lupingo Labidochromis (Labidochromis sp. Lupingo)
2. Labidochromis Electric (Labidochromis caeruleus)
3. Fenestratus (Protomelas fenestratus)
4. Eduardi (Pseudotropheus socolofi)
5. Electric Blue (Sciaenochromis fryeri)
6. Blue Peacock (Aulonocara hansbaenschi)
7. Butterfly Peacock (Aulonocara jacobfreibergi)
8. Regal Peacock (Aulonocara stuartgranti)

I've read that cichlids should be of similar size if you're going to mix them, so they don't pick on eachother and according to the book I got my information from these ones range from 4-6in. Is that too much of a size difference? If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Narrowing down a tank size will help...

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Right haps and peacocks together,mbuna together.The exception is the yellow labs,lots of people keep them with haps or peacocks.yellow lab/electric blue is a vivid combo!

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
It sounds like she has the fish selected. A dozen Protomelas fenestratus in a 55 is not going to work. Like wise, why put a dozen yellow labs in a 125. Its nice to think about the fish first then the tank, but the tank size ultimately determines the quanity and types of fish used. Filtration and decor. are other factors in the tank size. Enough rock in a 300 could be pricey same w/ a wet dry or a couple of X5s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store