Baby Black Drum

hockeydude9819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2008
Gulfport,MS
I went to catch some baitfish tonight, and i caught a baby black drum in my cast net. I thought he was so cool, so i filled up a few coolers full of water, and got a 5 gal bucket full of sand and put him in the cooler by himself. I got home and set up a 10 gal tank for him right now because he is only about an inch long. When he gets big enough, he is going into a 180. I know he will out grow the tank, but i would think i should be able to keep him for at least a few years before he is too big, then i will eat him, lol, j/k, i will release him back where i caught him. So far he is doing great, there was a few small crabs and critters in the sand that i got, and i was watching him eat them earlier, it was pretty cool. I will try to get some pics and post them up in the next couple of days. Has anyone else had or have a black drum, i know they they get freakin huge, here in MS, ive seen some giant ones up to forty or fifty lbs caught.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
thats pretty cool. ive thought about keepin one of the little drums that were in the surf down in FL (whiting we called them). the black drums get HUGE haha. get some pics up i want to see this little monster

hockeydude9819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2008
Gulfport,MS
the digi cam is on the fritz at the moment, i cant get a good pic. i will use my girlfriends cam when i get the chance. The little guy eats everything, he ate so much last night, i dont even know how he could still swim? I have a feeling he is going to grow really big, really fast, might be releasing him by the end of the year if not sooner

Fish Finder

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
Congrads on your new addition. Though i will worn you before someone else dose. It is illegal to dump a fish from a tank into the wild even if the fish originally came from that area. The reason so is because u can introduce a unknown illness or parasites into the local waters. If you don't plan of keeping the fish for life i will recommend you take this fish back right away. Not trying to be a ass but it is the law no matter where u are.

hockeydude9819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2008
Gulfport,MS
I see your point Fish Finder, im going fishing tonight after work, i will bring the little guy back when i go out there. The way the law is today, i dont want to get into any trouble or have to pay hefty fines. Thanks for the info

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
do you mean a black drum or a black hind?
aren't drums like jacknife fish? that looks more like a grouper to me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store