Black Ghost Knife myth busters needed

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
I've probably seen hundreds of black ghost knifes in my life. Who hasn't?
After recently seeing some nice ones at my LFS I thought hmmmm, might be cool to keep one in a tank by himself, so I got on the net to do some basic research.

The info I found varied so much that I'm pretty confused, mostly on how big a BGK can get. I've never seen one over say 10-12" but according to many sites I've visited, some say they can get 20"-26" in length. That's believable to me since so many other knifes like carapo, aba-abas, etc. get huge, but alas, I've never seen a black ghost knife that big, not even in a photo. What do they look like as large adults and how big do they REALLY get? Are they evil killers as adults? Do they fade into a putrid grey and lose the white markings with age?
Pics pleeeez!

jason34

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
uk
our LFS has a few of bgk in,all from about 12or 13inch to the size of your little finger.the big ones look cool,nice big head on them and nice slim bodys.
i also have one and he is coming on grate,at the min i would say he is 7to8inch and geting bigger all the time,il soon have to get him a bigger tube.
we have ours in with all sorts of fish,small and big and never had any probs with him eating the smaller ones but im not saying he couldnt he could if he wanted.
he seems to love mussel's,he gets it and swims around like mad ripping big bits off.
very nice fish and good to watch.like all fish some are diffrent than others you could get one that will try to eat every think then again you could get one that wouldnt.

sypher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
nevada
my BGK is 10" in length and is the best fish in my tank... i have to caves set up for him and he goes back and forth between them... i have some small fish in my tank and the BGK doesn't bother them at all, the one fish it doesn't mess with is the 12" pleco i have in my tank... real fun to watch... when i first got my blue rams a couple months back all i thought about was was my ghost going to eat my new fish so i watched the tank everyday and counted my rams everyday... to my surpise he never touched them but loves to hit the bloodworms and shrimp... as for BGK get between 20" --> 26" in size i don't know but i too research the net and saw that average size is around 18" before i got mine...

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Mine is about 14".. It would probably be bigger if it hadn't lived its whole life in a 55g. I inhereited it after it from the wifey's parents when we got togethor, because they were sick of caring for it.. Its only tankmate is a 8" elephant nose mormyrid. They have been around for about 8 years..

My exporter said he has seen them as big as 18", and I have been requesting 'XXL' ones on every Import.. I really hope someday I can bring in a 20"+ wild one!! That would be AWESOME!!

BGKElephant.jpg

BGKTank3.jpg

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Wow, he's a beauty. Elephant looks nice too. Well there's one question answered. Your knife seems to be retaining his color nicely for being large and relatively old.
What I'm really hoping is that someone will post a pic of a 20" specimen or give the link to a site that has a photo of one that big. I can't find a photo of a jumbo BGK on the web anywhere.
Thanx Miles!

Leviathan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
4,000,000 miles under the sea
Thomascl said:
Iv seen a 52cm (20") BGK he was awesome and still very black with a blue tinge.

I went to a fish farm and i ask them how large BGK can grow and they said 36inch has been keep before.

Josh

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
!!!! That's huge!!!! Well, looks like I'm back to square-one on not knowing how big a BGK can really get but I appreciate the feedback. Still haven't found any pics on the web with some guy holding up a giant Black Ghost Knife the length of his own arm.

Cai Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2005
Canada
The internet has been both a pain and a blessing. We can now access way more info, but it has also given more power to this saying than ever before. "An opinion is like an *******, everybody has one"

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
yeah, im pretty sure the can reach their maximum sizes.. i've seen one thats about 16" for sale in one of the lfs here before ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store