Well Water?

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
What things should I test for to see if I can use my well water? I know of a few people that say they have used their well water and havent had any problems with it. Thanks

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
everything would be a good start..

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
What about acceptable levels of whatever? I say that cause people that are using tap or well water, there still has to be trace amounts of something in it, at least I would think so.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
in a marine tank, it really depends on the application. in my preference i would never exceed 20ppm in nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, 0 copper, 0 phosphate, 0 silicate and a near zero TDS level. With well water you will have readings on most all these listed. The TDS will probably be very high as well.

If this is in a reef tank, i would suggest purchasing RO water at the store, or getting yourown unit and making water. I always feel this is much better for the coral and inverts involved in a reef tank.

In a fish only application, small levels of nitrate are fine, not above 20ppm. ammonia and nitrite should read 0ppm. Phosphates should be low, otherwise expect some unwanted algae growth.

If you plan on doing water changes, keep an eye on nitrate. If you don't do water changes often enough, then you could build up the nitrate which could be detrimental down the road.

Good luck

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
What is TDS?

I have tested my well water for nitrates, and they are 5ppm.

Now with a good setup of live rock, sand bed, and possibly a fuge can they controll nitrates?

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
weird question..... but fitting with this thread...when you test tap/well water should you use freshwater test kit or salt....

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
You will use a freshwater test kit for testing any freshwater source.

A fuge will control your nitrates, which is what i meant in the before thread about setup and equipment. Fuge's are great for all applications IMO but not necessary for all. 5ppm is fine, for nitrate but with the addition of food and the waste of the fish, it will add up quickly. So its imperative that you stay up with water changes to control it. Well water is by far better then tap due to what the water companies add to the water during the purification process. some areas are far worse then others. DSB's will help but unless setup 4+" and never touched wont help much either.

TDS is Total Dissolved Solids--not really sure why i mentioned this. The reading is not really needed unless your testing RO water. This tells you how pure the water is, which is obviously little help with tap/well water.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I have been using well water with no problems (fish only) other than alge because of the phosephates, I have a friend that has used his same well water for thirty plus years and has healthy fish and corals so to each there own and your pocket book can tell you what you need

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Deano1956;1651902; said:
I have been using well water with no problems (fish only) other than alge because of the phosephates, I have a friend that has used his same well water for thirty plus years and has healthy fish and corals so to each there own and your pocket book can tell you what you need
well put, and i agree!! My parents have great well water in there area. I had a FOWLR for a while with that water and things went great. When i decided to go reef, i made the leap to get RO because of the increase in quality. It all boils down to preference and readings of the water.......

good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store