Would this set up work?

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Wow, its been a while since i've been here. OK, so onto the setup. I really want to know if this will work. If you think it won't tell me what i should change please. I don't know what filtration i'll get but i'll be sure to ge the best i can afford including a skimmer. THis would all be in a 75 gal reef set up.

Pajama Cardinal- 4
Banggai Cardinal- 4
Clown Goby- 1
Firefish-1
Neon Goby- 1
Blue Tang-1
Six line wrasse-2
Yellow Tang-1
Coral Beuty- 1
Bicolor Angelfish- 1
Maroon Clownfish-2
Yellow Headed Jawfish- 4
Radiant Wrasse-2
Sand Sifting Starfish- 5
Fancy Brittle Starfish-1
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp-2
Peppermint Shrimp- 2
Blue Jaw Trigger-1 (Xanthichthys auromarginatus)

Also, I might get replace one of the six lined wrasse with some sorta fairy wrasse. Lastly, what sand would you reccomend (heard argonite is good, but should it be on top of something else?) and how deep should it be for the jawfish(don't want it to take up to much water space.)

THX!!!! :)

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
way to many fish for a 75g setup. I would be looking and asking about equipmnet first then about stocking options. But since you asked about fish, what are the fish on the list that you think are must haves for you? I would choose only one tang, one jaw fish, one six line, a smaller spieces of clownfish, one goby, and one group of cardinals. I would forget about the angle fish they are coral nippers. for the sandbed I would suggest 3-4" for the radient wrasse and jawfish. Forget about the brittle stars they can become fish eaters. Even what I listed is a lot of fish for a 75g reef. You will need a very large protien skimmer rated for aleast 200g+.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
This is you list with the changes made:

Pajama Cardinal- 4
Banggai Cardinal- 4
Clown Goby- 1
Firefish-1
Neon Goby- 1--- these guys are great but might be better with another.
Six line wrasse-1
Yellow Tang-1
Maroon Clownfish-2 --- I would do the false or true percula
Yellow Headed Jawfish-2-- I would do at the most 2, one would be better.
Radiant Wrasse-2
Sand Sifting Starfish- 5
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp-2
Peppermint Shrimp- 2

Chose one or the other on the cardinals. you could also do 2 of each. I would avoid adding any tang to a 75 gallon with this amount of fish, and depending on how much LR you have. These fish are active and require a good amount of swimming room. If your still wanting one, the Yellow Tang will IMO fair better then the Blue. I think you will like the radiant wrasse. There very pretty fish and i like mine a lot. When my larger tank is up, i plan on adding another one.The firefish will do better in a small group. A pair at the minimum otherwise you might not see them as much. In my tank I have 2 maroon and 2 purple.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
alright, i won't get the brittle star. I'll get 2 of each cardinal, 2 firefish, 2 neons, 1 six line, just the yellow tang, 1 maroon (it is the biggest must have), 1 jawfish, and everthing else the same as original. Im going to have lots of big live rock, but have ample swimming room as well. BOth the angels are also must haves, and the trigger i really want but if you think i definately shouldnt i wont. By the way, ive read that that species of trigger is very docile and even shy, and reefsafe. Oh, and also, i know im getting ahead of myself but ive seen these crabs at a really good lfs that have filters instead of claws. Any idea what they are and if they could work in this set up. Im also planning on having small hermits for clean up and sand aeration. Would the filter crabs be harassed by them? I assume the crabs could go much fatser but just wonderin.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
that is going to be far to many fish for a 75g reef tank. I would definately drop the trigger. Not becuase it will bother anything, but becuase it will produce to much waste. If the angels are must haves then you won't be able to have a reef, they eat coral. You should run the tank as fowlr with a sump/ refuge and have a huge protein skimmer setup. That way you will be able to keep your angels.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
welsher7;1602948; said:
that is going to be far to many fish for a 75g reef tank. I would definately drop the trigger. Not becuase it will bother anything, but becuase it will produce to much waste. If the angels are must haves then you won't be able to have a reef, they eat coral. You should run the tank as fowlr with a sump/ refuge and have a huge protein skimmer setup. That way you will be able to keep your angels.

i couldn't agree more. The trigger being docile or not, may eat you smaller species of fish. Its always a possibility with carnivorous fish. This may also happen if your not feeding the proper food, and enough of it.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
ya i was sorta thinkin that about the trigger. Also, i might be able to get a 90 gal instead if that will help. The only difference is the height. And i guess i could do without the angels if theyll cause a big problem coral wise.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
also, i dont think it makes a difference, but if i can get a four line instead of six line wrasse id like to.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
its mostly up in the air. I have a few friends who keep some dwarf angels in larger reef tanks without a problem. Personally i would avoid the problem all together, but thats just me. The larger the tank the better. I would recommend getting a longer tank if you have the money like a 125 or so. If you get the 90 gallon you should get it drilled with an overflow in it already, that way hooking up a sump will be simple. this will increase total volume of the tank and allow your water to have some stability.

good luck

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
ya i deffinately can't get the 125, no room. I got one already and i need it for my turtle. Um, also, how would i get it pre drilled, and would that make the tank cost a lot more?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store