Stability

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
I know that increased water volume helps the stability of a tank. Does the amount of live rock and deep sand bed do that as well, for instance the: Whatever size tank I have, if I get a good sand bed and also have as much Live Rock, without overduing it, help the stability?

Also, I know that certain lighting is needed for some corals and certain species, but does quality lighting also help with live rock?

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
yes, the live rock provides a ton of bio-filtration and doesn't cause as much nitrates as other bio medias and the anerobic bacteria in DSB removes nitrates. good lighting will make the macro algaes grow well(removing nitrates in the process) and will affect the colour of the coraline algae.

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
Do macro algaes grow on both the live rocks only? or other things as well?

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
Thanks that was a very interesting read. Seems to me that the fine DSB would be want I want to help control nitrates, along with that is does grow some nutritious things to eat.

When is a skimmer nessesary?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
always. I add it right when i add water to the tank. Skimmers effectively remove fish poop and urine from water. Yes fish pee too lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store