need a filter?

??SLEEPY??

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Maryland
Is a filter needed on a 55 gallon reef aquarium besides a protein skimmer, even if i plan to keep a flame angel fish,clownfish, and a couple of inverts?

If needed what do you think i should get a canister filter or sump:confused:

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I usually say sump, but if you have enought LR, about 1-2lbs/gallon then you should be okay with adequite water movement and very good skimmer. The best skimmer your dollars can get ya lol. Usually adding a sump is beneficial because of the increase in water volume and getting all of the equipment off the tank. I like that look better but opinions vary!

Canisters will become a nitrate bomb in time. They need to be cleaned very often and require a lot of work.

The best way to keep a tank clean is by the Water changes that your should be doing! 10% should be sufficient once a week. You can do more but not needed.

??SLEEPY??

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Maryland
Lol "best skimmer", but i will build me a 20 gallon sump and buy the best skimmer i can buy. Any reccomendations for skimmers inside of a sump?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I run an ASM G-2 on a 65 gallon. Takes out more crud then i thought would have ever been possible. If you change your mind on the sump, then AquaC remora's have always been a good HOB skimmer. I have read there share of bad reviews but i still feel there a decent skimmer.

Is your tank drilled, or are you going to be adding an aftermarket overflow??

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
I just read above that canisters become nitrate bombs... what makes them that way and what can i do to help that.. i just bought a magnum 350 for my 29 gallon.. and for a 29 gallon how much water should i be taking out for a water change .. i usually take out like 3 gallons or so for a water change...

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
they can be too good at what they do.

with the huge flow/oxygenation rates of trickle filters and some canisters, the anaerobic bacteria have no chance to turn nitrate into nitrogen gas. building it up faster than it can be broken down.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Very well put.

One way you can help this cycle is to clean the canister once a week. You can run all the normal things that you would on al fresh, floss, carbon, phosban, etc.... I would recommend that once a month you let the filter dry out completely, killing everything in it, and cleaning as well as you can, so as to start over sort a speak. This could help you prevent the huge builb up in nitrate but that method is not always a guarantee.

??SLEEPY??

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Maryland
sweeTang21;1614565; said:
I run an ASM G-2 on a 65 gallon. Takes out more crud then i thought would have ever been possible. If you change your mind on the sump, then AquaC remora's have always been a good HOB skimmer. I have read there share of bad reviews but i still feel there a decent skimmer.

Is your tank drilled, or are you going to be adding an aftermarket overflow??
Wow.. I never heard of a ASM G-2.
Its not drilled but im doing a DIY sump w/ overflow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store