Smallest " True Gar "

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Depends on conditions, sex and genetic locality of the fish.
The Old ideas by comparing size to wild maximums need to be tossed out and replaced with conditional averages which are more accurate to what in reality one would encounter.

For the sake of simplicity.. Florida, Spotted, Shortnose all seem to get about the same average size in captivity of 20 to 25". (Often less) Tropicals are not much longer 20-30"... Cubans are data deficient but really might not get much larger than tropicals.

Min tank size is one of those 1/2 gallon critter keepers though you could get away with a deli cup.... Depends on the size of the fish...

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
wow, good info. I was wondering the same, myself. I thought all gars got a lot larger than that.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
pwmin;1625313; said:
wow, good info. I was wondering the same, myself. I thought all gars got a lot larger than that.
They can get bigger and do have the potential to do so. This should not be ignored or discounted, it is just not accurate to expect it to occur, These are not average sized fish often being quoted for size. They are record sized ones and not representative of the population as a whole.

In some populations some fish do get a lot bigger than in others in disjunct populations. Some fish kept under certain captive conditions will grow faster and larger, some will grow average even under these conditions.

I'm personally sick of the "this fish needs this size tank" stuff... This is not accurate in practical husbandry. What you need is a tank matched to the size of fish you have and with gar this is critical. You cannot have too large or too small of a tank for the given fish. There is no clear cut rule. It is all individual. To keep these optimally it is desirable to have multiple housing options available.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
Polypterus;1625507; said:
They can get bigger and do have the potential to do so. This should not be ignored or discounted, it is just not accurate to expect it to occur, These are not average sized fish often being quoted for size. They are record sized ones and not representative of the population as a whole.

In some populations some fish do get a lot bigger than in others in disjunct populations. Some fish kept under certain captive conditions will grow faster and larger, some will grow average even under these conditions.

I'm personally sick of the "this fish needs this size tank" stuff... This is not accurate in practical husbandry. What you need is a tank matched to the size of fish you have and with gar this is critical. You cannot have too large or too small of a tank for the given fish. There is no clear cut rule. It is all individual. To keep these optimally it is desirable to have multiple housing options available.
I have heard exactly the same advice about tank size from other people, but don't understand it. Especially with gar, why is it not advantageous to keep them in a very very large tank? Why not put a 1' long gar in a 700g by himself? Will he feel insecure? More prone to injury?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Why not put a 1' long gar in a 700g by himself? Will he feel insecure? More prone to injury?
As long a proper feed is available and assessable that would likely not be a problem depending on dimensions and conditions. (particularly in tank habitat structure) Add another four or so 1' gar would be better as it would reduce Fast start responses to negative stimulus. Gars will do better in loose schools of their own kind as they then will watch each other for responses. This does calm them somewhat..

Add some stupid fish (Aro, Chiclits, catfish) to the tank you however just changed this and now the gars requirements change drastically...

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
assume you can feed it well, that it finds it's food okay. Would it still be maladaptive?

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
*** Edited***...You made a statement, and I am asking you to elaborate on it. Can you think outside the box for a second and help me understand why it is that gars don't do better in needlessly large tanks?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
I know they get larger in the wild. and what's with calling other fish stupid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store