Disapearing Wrasse

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I have a wrasse that looks close to a surge just cant remember the name of it, anyway it has been chased around by my lunare wrasse who is a little bigger, now I havent seen it for 3 days and I have checked on the floor around and under the stand and its nowhere to be found, cant fit up my intake so where did it go. I have 2 - 1 1/4" return pipes coming into the tank could it swim that strongly up against the flow? A LFS owner said he might have gone down into the sand to hide from the other wrasse but for this long? Hate to tare the tank up to look for him, any ideas out there on this?

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
in my salt tank when one of them passes:cry:they just disappear? not sure where they go or what makes them go away but like magic *poof* gone even when my seahorses "disappeared" they were in spieces tank. there one day gone the next, not all at once but you see what i'm sayin

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Yes, it may be hiding in the sand. You might be able to take a net handle or something similar and still the sand around.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Its very common for some wrasse SP. to bolt into the substrate when they are scared...Its like their self defence mechanism...On that note, ensure you have a substrate depth of at least an inch, more if possible....Its not uncommon for these wrasse's to make a bolt for the safety of the sand and quick speed and simply hit the glass bottom and damage themselves..

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I have at least 2" maybe 3" of sand stired up alittle sand on one end and no sign, try again tomorrow mabe look under some rocks but hate to stir up the tank

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Deano1956;1633354; said:
I have at least 2" maybe 3" of sand stired up alittle sand on one end and no sign, try again tomorrow mabe look under some rocks but hate to stir up the tank

Your fine with that ammount of sand...dont go stiring up the substrate too much though...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
you should avoid stiring sand as much as possible. This can relase a whole assortamnt of toxins into the water. Cleaning substrate should usually consist of a gentle surface clean without disruption of the entire sand bed. Good luck and i hope all is well with the fish

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
Yea I just move a little in one area and just decided to forget about it if he shows up fine if not and it died will that be to much for the tank, the fish was a good 6"

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
any once living animal that died in a tank can pose a seriouse problem. This could spike the ammonia in the tank causing disease if not death. A lot will depend on the stability of the tank, weather you remove it or not, OR, if you just keep up with water changes for a while lol. Not the method i would chose but if you cant find it, your better off leaving the tank alone so you dont cause more of a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store