Erythrinus sp. peru vs Erythrinus "normal"

scorp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Germany
Hi everybody,

since we recently had an argument in a German board, but don't have enough user that actually own one of the 2 wolfs mentioned in the title, I decided to ask you here:

We are aware of the colour differences, but how exactly do size and mass differ? We were discussing that sp. peru seem to be not only longer (around 30-40cm max), but also more massive and maybe more active.

Who can agree or tell me anything about the differences mentioned from experience?

cheers

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
he is asking if you have pics of the 2 different fish

Sti

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Virginia
I've only ever seen Erythrinus Erythrinus for sale here. Wolf fish other than malabaricus arent that common in any fish store that I go to. All of the websites and vendors I've seen so far only have ery ery commonly as well. I've never asked about a erythrinus sp. Peru because I had no idea there was one.

scorp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Germany
i've seen both here in germany in stores...

strange...you are closer to SA :)

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i hear the scientific names being mixed up too much to know which two wolves ur talking about.

couldnt get ur site u posted to load either.

scorp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Germany
not enough replies anyway to draw any conclusions :(

there are two different erythrinus "species" (maybe not species but local forms) one called erythrinus erythrinus, the other one sp. peru. The latter is more colourful (red/orange) at least the males.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
first pic is ery peru, and second pic is ery, ery.

ery ery is more calm like a common wolf. sitting and waiting for food. fairly uncommon here.

the orange highfin is more active like a gold. swiming around and hovering in mid water alot.

IME.

bild44.jpg

IMG_1928.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store