Mixing angels and tangs...

josh pelican

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2008
Dartmouth, NS
In the near future, I am thinking about going tank shopping (something at least six feet long) to put some marine fish in. Every forum I check people say my stock list will never work, however some websites tell me different. I've decided to check here because I remember reading a thread on mixing angels before!

What I'm looking at is a 125 gallon tank, although I will go bigger if I have to. I just want this to work!

For angels, I'm looking at three of the dwarf angels: Bicolor, Coral Beauty, and Flame. From what I know, all of these need at least 20 gallons, and they need a lot of live rock, or filamentous algae growth. To quote MarineCenter, "If you keep more than one, make sure to add them simultaneously, and only attempt multiple specimens in a very large tank with plenty of hiding places." I figure 125 gallons is enough to have three of them, but so far everyone told me I cannot do it.

Aside from angels, I wouldn't mind adding some tangs into the mix. The ones I'm looking at are the yellow tang, purple tang, and sailfin tang. Again, all of these fish need at least 20 gallons. I know they might show aggression towards each other, but I've had plenty of tangs mixed together before (as I work in a pet store). I had two fully mature yellow tangs mixed together, two sailfins together, one of each together, etc.

To cut a potentially long, boring post into a somewhat lengthy read, I would just like to know one thing: Can I pull this off? Three dwarf angels, and three smaller tangs.

If it would work out, could I have them in a 125, providing there's enough territorial sites for each one? Surely 125 gives them a good amount of space to swim away from each other, but if I have to go bigger, I will.

If the tank was 210 gallons (or more), would I be able to add a queen angel, or would that just be trouble?

Thank you so much for reading this, and for helping me out. I don't have a lot of experience mixing these fish together, so your input is greatly appreciated.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
Here is a good site with a chart on the different types of saltwater fish it should have the info you need. http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

From what I have read thought, it will depend on the personality of the fish and the size tank, I would go as big as possible, at the very least as long as possible to accomidate the swimming needs of the tangs. It would also depend on the order you put the fish in.

agreeive?fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
oklahoma
This is what i have...in a 210g

coral beauty angel aprox 2 1/2"
1/2 black angel aprox 2 1/4"
yellow tang aprox 4 1/2"
powder blue tang aprox 4 3/4"
sailfin tang aprox 10"
among other fish with no problems and none were added at the same time

sailfin was a resuce and added first(9' at the time)
coral next 1 1/2 inch when added
yellow next 3 3/4' when added
1/2 black next 1 1/2" when added
powder blue next 4 1/2" when added

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
The length of the tank is the most concern for tangs, and 20 gallon min woudl be nice, but i hate to say that your a hair off on that. Most tangs should be housed in a 90 gallon or larger tank. It mostly boils down the base size of the tank. You wouldnt want a very active fish in a tank that is 2 feet long but 6 feet tall. Not to mention that would look weird.

As far as mixing dwarf angels you will still want to use caution. but read this article on mixing.

http://www.rcthawaii.com/angel/3.htm

josh pelican

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2008
Dartmouth, NS
Wow. Marine Center has lead me to a lot of false information regarding tank sizes!

I've done some re-planning, and here's what I'm thinking...

Bicolor Pygmy Angel
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Purple Tang
Maroon Clown (x2)
Falcula Butterfly

I'm thinking about adding another tang, but I'm not 100% sure what I should add. I'm contemplating on a blue hippo, achilles, and a chevron. Blue hippos seem to be extremely hardy, and aren't as hard on the wallet. They'll add a nice splash of blue to the tank, as well.

I'm trying to figure out what else I can add (for smaller fish), but I think my list is going pretty good right now.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
my only suggestion is add the clowns at the same time, and do your research on them, maroons can be very aggresive.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Dreaco;1644866; said:
my only suggestion is add the clowns at the same time, and do your research on them, maroons can be very aggresive.
I agree. I have seen Maroons beat each other in large systems so it may not be enough.

I would advise against the Achilles. I know a few seasoned aquarists who have a hard time keeping this species. They should really be in a very large tank. 300 gallons or larger. I wouldn't add them into a tank that has not matured for a while as well. I have read some info that say they require very good water conditions and slight fluctuations could stress and disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store