What to breed with texas cichlid to make a red texas?

macantley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2008
south charleston WV
im guessing a red devil and a texas cichlid, but i wanted to make sure it was not something like a red terror and texas cichlid.

someone let me know, i might have to order them from the LFS, i always liked the look of the red texas hybrids.

matthew

haloman02

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yonkers, NY
you will need many tanks an patience. It's not just one two three you have red texas it's many generations of inbreeding and selective breeding.

The following are not my words but Vanz's words from flowerhornrus.com

A RT or SRT ( Red Texas) is able to be produced by breeding a male green or blue texas and crossing it with a female such as Parrot, King-Kong, Mammon, Darmo, Flamingo, RED Devil, Redshock or Redsyn.

QUOTE The most popular “Cross Breed” Cichlids in Thailand cannot be any breed except "Red Texas"

"Red Texas" is the Cichlids cross breeding between male green texas (Herichys Carpinte) which is originated in South America and female beautiful color fish such as Parrot, King-Kong, Flamingo, Redshock or Redsin. The charming of Green Texas is its luster scales which is called "Pearl"

Three major characteristics of Red Texas are as follows:-Red Texas

Shape: Red Texas is considered as huge structure fish. The mature Red Texas can have size up to 30 CMs. in length.
A nice Red Texas should have wide and thick body with straight fin which is perfectly match with the body.
Color: The most popular and expensive is Red. The next popular is Orangy-red.
Not all Red texas are red, and some might not even fade. There are Red Texas in Red, Orangy-red, Yellow, and Pink. They could have these colors when they are faded.

Pattern: There are several types of pearls..

1. Delicate Pearl
2. Small Pearl
3. Big Pearl
4. Brain Pattern Pearl

Each pattern has sub-categories so pattern of each Red Texas is different. This is one of its charming characteristic that make Red Texas is so popular and make it differ from the other cross breed.
As Breeder always use Green Texas and color fish such as Red Parrot and Red Devil. Red Texas receives nice pearl from father and red color from mother.

However, one lot of babies can come out in two major colors:-
Green Flesh
This group receives more genetic from father. It will have nice pearl but its skins have none or less chance to peel off so it will not come out red. This color is not popular.

Red Flesh This has major genetic from mother so it has more chance in changing color. However, not every red flesh can change color into the red or orangey-red which is very popular. After the peel off period, the color may show in yellow or pinkish-white.
by KNT Farm

The Pearls is what makes a Red Texas unique and popular from other hybrids.

if any members have more info to add or the above is incorrect, feel free to post or let known.. thanks

Happy fish,
vanz aka Paintsn

Reactions: Ruturaj

GreatGems

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2006
Canada
Ok guys you want to know the formula this is direct from the breeders in Thialand that breed them.

GT= Green Texas
KKP= King Kong Parrot
SRT= Super Red Texas
SUPER RED SYN= Super Red Synispillum

GT X KKP

GT X PARROT

GT X SUPER RED SYN

GT X SRT

Please note that the trick is to get a Male Green texas with Hump or KoK as we flowehorn breeders call it. and any of the other fish must be Females as Males are almost always infertile. I find that KKP and Blood Parrot work best but you must use one with very bright orange or Red color. I find that i get a lot of fading kumfa wih my bright orange KKP when i breed it with my ZZ malu.

Best luck anyone find a hot texas let me know

JAWZ 365

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
mines a flowerhorn crossed with a green texas cichlid. they go through a peel off stage when they get bigger and their colors come out more. as the mature they should look more red. heres mine

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
the traditional srt is carpintis or sometimes even cyanoX king kong parrot

geodem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
cyprus
JAWZ 365;2853618; said:
mines a flowerhorn crossed with a green texas cichlid. they go through a peel off stage when they get bigger and their colors come out more. as the mature they should look more red. heres mine

nice fish !!
mine are texas x blood parrot !!

_5227074.JPG

_1018657.JPG

_1018616.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store