Run pond filter before adding water?

kumdoalan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
ND
I built a small indoor pond this winter and have moved it out to an unheated porch where it sits empty as it's still too cold to add water to it.

However I am also about to be sent out of State by my work and so I wanted to use this last 2 weeks of free time to help ready my pond for the day I can add water to it.

Now I came up with a plan that I need advice about.
I want to be able to add about 700gal of water to my pond, WATER CONDITIONER, and fish, all in the same day!

The problem is that my filter design is a Bio-filter wet/dry and it would need time to be cycled right?

I have been reading about the stuff you can add to a pond before you add fish that can really speed up the addition of good bio life to my filter.
I may try to get some of that stuff to add to my pond, but thats PLAN - "B", right now.

PLAN - A, is to take my big pond Bio-Filter inside the house and connect it to my 140gal koi tank.
The hope I have is that I can jump-start the bio-life inside the filter while it's still too cold outside for filling the pond.

Then I can just reconnect the pond's filter the very same day i add water and fish to the pond.

This will work right?

Adding water, fish, and filter to a pond all within the same day will work right?

PICT0034.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store