Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Ok, so here's what i've got going now.

55 gal
SG: 1.020-1.022
PH Around 8.4

I am converting it to SW with my brackish fish in it, so here's whats in it now:

3 Archers
3 GSP's

The fish I am interested in adding (not all, probably just 1 or two):
Saddle Puffer (pretty sure he is compatable with fish)

Some sort of Trigger, LFS has a picaso, idk if that would work or not, I would prefer a Niger

Lionfish: LFS carries volitan. I know they are poisonous, so that worries me because I'm not sure if my puffers would go nuts on his spines or not, thus killing my puffers...any suggestions here???

So which fish should I add? I'd hate to lose fish due to fighting or whatnot, so lmk!

Thanks!

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
triggers get to big to share a 55g tank with the other tankmates you listed. Also a volitans lionfish gets way to big (15") for a 55g tank and lionfish do not mix with puffers. The puffers would kill the lionfish.

ArcherintheBimmer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
I kinda figured the lionfish would be out, my friend just keeps bugging me to buy "swarms" of them lol.

I realize that triggers get bigger, but I figure that I am going to eventually buy a bigger tank, so as long as they don't grow like weeds, wont they be ok?

ArcherintheBimmer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
hmmmm. Well, I had heard that the niger triggers were peaceful, but don't really know anything about their growth rates? Anyone have experience with one?

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I think they grow kind of slow, but they can become aggressive. But every fish is different. You could get an aggresive one or a passive one.

ArcherintheBimmer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
UGGG!! So after seeing the saddle puffer in the shop for like 3 weeks I go in to buy it and someone bought it yesterday! Guess i'll have to wait and see what comes in the next shippment :irked:

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
blue throats are nicer if not all the more rare.
a dwarf lion could do wonderfully in a 55 but would still fall victim to the puffers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store