Fish that are "NOT" Reef Safe

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
This thread is a compliation of fish which are deemed as NOT safe to add to a reef tank. There are many reasons why some fish are not compatible with reefs, and they are issues like coral nipping, clam mantle nipping etc etc..

Post the fish which is not reef safe, explain WHY it is not reef safe and add a photo to you post.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
depends what's safe.

eels are great reef inhabvitant but can knock over poorly secured corals or the rocks they rest on lions are good too but terrors of water quality.
and i assume invert safe and coral safe are indipendant factors?

Reefscape

MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
BIGgourami;1649106; said:
depends what's safe.

eels are great reef inhabvitant but can knock over poorly secured corals or the rocks they rest on lions are good too but terrors of water quality.

yes, when refering to something which is not reef safe..refers to fish which can easily disrupt the rock structure causing collapse which would be devasting for the corals on the rock...Fish which reef on coral...fish which feed on invertibrates....

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
if it's a group of fish usually considered non reef safe (lets say triggers) and there's an exception to we just note the exceptions? like a bluethroat...

si it includes fish/invert that:
eat coral
nip at corals
knock over corals
undermine corals?
cover corals in sand?
eat inverts typically associated with a reef tank?

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
Most of the Arothron puffer's are not reef-safe. There fused theeth are disigned to destroy Inverts.
Although I dont keep a Reef, my Arothron regulary bites off large chunks of Live rock and turns it into sand.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
parrotfish and most triggers/ filefish/ tobies..... usualy will eat/mip at corals and fleshy bits (clam mantles etc...)

Reefscape

MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
BIGgourami;1649217; said:
if it's a group of fish usually considered non reef safe (lets say triggers) and there's an exception to we just note the exceptions? like a bluethroat...

si it includes fish/invert that:
eat coral
nip at corals
knock over corals
undermine corals?
cover corals in sand?
eat inverts typically associated with a reef tank?

Yes, please do note the exception...

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
BIGgourami;1649106; said:
depends what's safe.

So lionfish are safe for reefs? do they get around will all corals? if so this is great news..

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
well they arent invert safe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store