another not so common convict question

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
ok before u guys get mad that im asking another newbish convict question read what i have to say
i have a male convict 2 and a half inches
and a female about 5 inches
first i had em in a 12 gallon eclipse
for about 4 weeks
nothin happened
i moved em to a 55 for 2 weeks and a really nice oscar i had in theyre showed up dead :irked:
in a panic i moved them bak to the 12g
because i have fragile fish in there
why wont they breed
ive changed the water everyday
ive been feeding them lots of god foods like blood worms mycis brine and beefheart
and a lil pelets
and theyre are lots of hissing spots
whats up with these fish????????????????

:screwy:

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
the 12 gal is too small... they probably got into the 55 and were so happy they were going to spawn... but first they had to remove the threat...

Sounds like typical Cichlid behavior to me...

If you want your fish to make you happy first you have to make them happy... that theory applies throughout life ;)

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
nc_nutcase;1648411; said:
the 12 gal is too small... they probably got into the 55 and were so happy they were going to spawn... but first they had to remove the threat...

Sounds like typical Cichlid behavior to me...

If you want your fish to make you happy first you have to make them happy... that theory applies throughout life ;)
but the oscar was only in the tank for like a half day

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Cons, although they are known as rabbits with fins, like any other fish still require certain conditions to breed. It's just that the conditions for cons may cover a wider variance than that of other fish. Move them to a 20(long), if possible, keep feeding them well, and heat things up, literally, to 80-82 deg.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Spawning Cichlids don't like other Cichlids around... not even for half a day...

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Oh, and clay pots work like a charm. Cons love to lay their eggs on the top of the inside of the pot.

FishButt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I want to answer your question but they keep deleting my replies. Let me see if they delete this one. I agree with Hawkfish, 20g long and patients. My esperience with cons is that I didnt even have to raise the temp. they just breed all the time lol. Then I wanted to get rid of mine because of the plague and advise every one to get ready for alot of chores if you chose these fish. :)

Kitiara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I have my breeding pair of cons in a 10g tank, it took them a few weeks to settle in (and they rearranged the substrate a bit to suit them) I found that all they really need is a 'cave' of some description to breed. Blood worms to supplement their diet are appreciated and help get them in the mood.

Give them time, if they don't breed it may be simply that they haven't paired up and are not compatible. I had 2 male and 2 female cons, one lot paired up so I removed the others from the tank to a separate one the same size. The second lot did not pair up and tried to kill each other so I split them up and eventually gave them away.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Lets see pics of this male and female ;)

How much water are you changing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store