Skimmer or not

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
One thing I notice about my marine fish tank is that it is never as clear (water) as when I had fresh water fish and I had way more fish in there than I do now. Do skimmers purify the water as far as clearity?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
they help. skimmers will remove a lot of impurities in the water and may help a lot more then you would think lol. I never run a marine system without them out of preference.

There could be more of a cause as to why your tank water is not as clear. Have you tested it lately just to see what the levels are??

jdllme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
Georgia
a skimmer will help also a inline uv like turbo twist will help clear the water of free floating algae spores also kills some pests

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
uv is not always a good solution to anything. I would only ever run one on a QT tank. Why kill bad bacteria and GOOD bacteria. This just weakens your tank. Yes they do help but unless you have green water i would avoid using it so you cany find the real cause.

zepprocker45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
California
I don't use a skimmer on my 12 gallon aquarium, but if it were a larger tank i'd no doubt use a skimmer. Im sure it does help water clarity as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store