Can I put this Gar in with my oscars?

Isabell Dunham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2007
British Columbia
My hubbie just brought home a gar and a sengal yeaterday as a gift for me.
He had no idea how big they get. I haven't been able to find a pic of this guy anywhere though. He is silver with a yellowish tail, and 1 black spot beside his tail. His mouth is long, slightly hooked, with a bit of a knob on the end.
He is only about 2" long right now, and the tank he is in only has baby fish in it. This guy only hangs out at the top of the tank, floating there like a stick.
He's a bit chewed up on the fins from his tank mates at the lfs.
I wish my camera wasn't broken, cause I'd love to post a pic.
I know these guys grow fast, I'm building a 4-5000gal tank early this summer, but I have a lot of cichlids to go in there, including a couple of sengals, is there any way this would work?...or should I bring him back?

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
that sounds lika a Ctenolucius Hujeta. Not a true gar but sometimes their common name includes 'gar', like "rocket gar" and "gar characin". Also known as "freshwater barracuda".

Will only get around 10-12" in captivity and are slow growers.

here is a picture of one of mine for comparison, does it look like this?:

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
Great fish, I have a school of 4 of them and they've grown from about 2.5" to about 6"+ in the last year. They love to swim together. I can only get them to eat live fish or frozen bloodworms. They usually hang near the surface most of the time.

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
Mystus Redtail;1652993; said:
Great fish, I have a school of 4 of them and they've grown from about 2.5" to about 6"+ in the last year. They love to swim together. I can only get them to eat live fish or frozen bloodworms. They usually hang near the surface most of the time.
my 2 eats anything i put in the tank such as hikari carnivore pellets,peas,shrimp,hikari sinking cichlid pellets,except feeder fish which i don't feed.....and they try and eat my finger if i stick it in the tank :) ,no fear whatsoever :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store