big tank question

NyJets51

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
new york
ive never had a saltwater tank before, and i was just wondering. for big tanks like 480 gallons, how do you mix the salt in there with the right salinity?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
the easiest way i found IMO on tanks larger then 200 gallons is to get a cattle trough's and run your RO water line right to it, or other source of water. I would also recommend getting some powerheads in there to keep the water circulating so the salt dissolves fully.

My rule of thumb is having at least a 50% water change of water on hand for any "disasters" that may happen.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
sweeTang21;1654243; said:
the easiest way i found IMO on tanks larger then 200 gallons is to get a cattle trough's and run your RO water line right to it, or other source of water. I would also recommend getting some powerheads in there to keep the water circulating so the salt dissolves fully.

My rule of thumb is having at least a 50% water change of water on hand for any "disasters" that may happen.

Good post :)

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
depends on how you do the water change. Lets just say you did this, clean the sand and rock a bit with all the pumps off, then take a submersible pump and stick it into the tank and turn it on. You can get a pump of any size and just pump the water right out into a drain with waterever your using. Then do the same process to fill it back up with premixed SW. I might use a different pump but using the same one wouldnt hurt you either lol. May sound like a lot of stuff to get, but sounds like this would work well one would think.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
after you mix the salt with the water, can it sit around indefinently with proper circulation or is there a shelf limit?

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
ive never heard of any shelf life for salt in or out of water. i would be more concerned with light getting in and algae growing

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Run a series of tests and see what your readings are. I dont feel that theres a shelf life, but from habbit i use it up in 2 weeks max and make all new.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store