ph issues

niblit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Knee deep in fish
Im hhaving problems keeping my ph up it is at 7.8 my tank is 60 gal ive got crushed coral and live sand substrate about 30 lbs of live rock i run a fluval 405 and a rena xp3 water tests good am 0 nitrite 0 nitrate less than 5 and the problem ph 7.8 the tank is lightly stocked with two baby gsp a tiny lion an angler also tiny and a sf tang baby. any ideas

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
my pH also stays at 7.8 but since it STAYS there i don't think it's a real big problem. if yours is fluxuating a lot then it's a problem. try taking a pH measurement in the morening and in the evening, the pH should change throughout the day

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
What kind of surface movement do you have. Strong aeration can help with this problem by allowing better oxygen exchange. What are you using for a buffer, if nothing then definitely check you ALK. If the ALK is not proper then neither will the pH.

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
sweeTang21;1656019; said:
What kind of surface movement do you have. Strong aeration can help with this problem by allowing better oxygen exchange. What are you using for a buffer, if nothing then definitely check you ALK. If the ALK is not proper then neither will the pH.
I would agree, get a good ph and alk buffer.

niblit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Knee deep in fish
my ph doesnt change.what started all this is my fish looked like they were breathing hard so i moved my tang and lion to my reef tank and their breathing became what i felt would be normal after a few days i moved them back and theyre breathing hard again my reef has been up for a long time but i just upgraded my fish tank a month or so ago i went from a 30 to a 60 i kept the same filter, water , substrate, ect.im thinking maybe a contaminant got in the tank but i dont know im lost on this one

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
do huge water changes for a while and see if that helps stable it out. Ph can be a pain in the butt when it comes to getting it stable. I use Argomilk for buffer. Works great IMO and its all natural so no worries if used correctly. I put this into the make up water after you get done mixing it with salt and whatnot.

So the 60 gallon which is the upgrade is the tank with all the problems. Have you tested the water in your reef tank to see what its levels were. Compare and contrast lol, make changes were needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store